It’s the most wonderful time of the year...San Diego Beer Week, a celebration of all things Craft Beer in America’s Finest City. There’s so much to celebrate that Beer “Week” is actually ten days. With 70+ breweries and tons of great beer bars, there is no shortage of great events, tap takeovers, ticketed dinners and of course wonderful tasting rooms to visit.
The list is much, much too large to attempt posting here, but I’ll run down some of the highlights and particularly those that are on my personal radar. There’s no single exhaustive list, but head over to San Diego Beer Week’s official site for a calendar of most events. Also check out SDBWplanner’s great mobile site for checking the event list while on the go. Some bars keep their own schedules, so be sure to check out websites of your favorite spots as well so you don’t miss any cool happenings. And of course, Taphunter and the West Coaster are great resources for additional info on beers, breweries and tap lists all year round.
Anyway, on to my picks and can’t miss events over the first five days after the jump. (I’ll post the remainder of of my SDBW top picks on Wednesday.) Be sure to find me at any (or all) of these stops so we can kick one back together! Cheers!
Friday November 1, 2013
- SD Brewers Guild Festival: VIP Brewer Takeover - the official kick off to Beer Week, hosted by the Brewer’s Guild, this ticketed event (close to selling out as I peck at this keyboard) features 50+ breweries each presenting a special “one off” brew. Sadly I won’t be able to partake in the beers here, but I will be there pouring as a volunteer so if you’re there make sure to say “Hi!” Tickets here: http://www.brownpapertickets.com/profile/401819
- Alpine Comes Down The Hill! at O’Brien’s - TEN beers (and maybe more) from the undisputed Kings of the IPA. All the Alpine, none of the drive. Check O’Brien’s full SDBW schedule here: http://obrienspub.net/san-diego-beer-week-2013-schedule/
Saturday November 2, 2013
- Karl Strauss Brewing Company Rare Beer Tap Takeover at Ciro's Pizzeria And Beerhouse - San Diego’s oldest craft brewing operation brings some treats to Pacific Beach. (Pro tip: check out the Peanut Butter Porter!)
Sunday November 3, 2013
- Man The Victory At Sea Fleet! at Hamilton’s Tavern - I can’t wait for this one. TWO unique flights of a dozen special and unique versions of Victory at Sea. Ballast Point’s V@S is, in my opinion, one of the finest beers available anywhere and all these variants are a huge bonus. Rum Barrel Aged? Victory at Cereal? Yes please!
- Societe Brewing At Ritual Tavern - The most badass new brewery in the County (the world?!?) will be in NP with half a dozen or so of their delicious beverages. Side note: if you can’t get enough Societe, they’ll be having a (tongue-in-cheek) “Societe Brewing Company Tap Takeover At The Tasting Room” each day during Beer Week. (Dorks.)
- 4th Annual IPA Blowout! at Toronado - This actually starts on Saturday and continues into Sunday with “50+ mostly San Diego, all California IPA's and/ or hoppy ales on draft and cask.” Boom. (See Toro’s fill SDBW lineup here: http://us4.campaign-archive1.com/?u=bb92f888a10e783c6a903407e&id=66159fba43&e=3baed0eec9)
Monday November 4, 2013
- An Evening with Kern River Brewing Company at Toronado - Ok, so Kern River isn’t a San Diego brewery (duh) BUT they are awesome and rarely do we get much (if any) of this down here so don’t miss a chance to give their very solid brews a try.
- Beer Hunter: The Movie: SDBW Screening! at Tiger!Tiger! - “Beer Hunter” (which I haven’t yet seen) is a documentary about legendary beer writer Michael Jackson. Free movie, tacos on the patio and great beer on tap. Sign me up.
Tuesday November 5, 2013
OK, that’s enough for now. Remember this is a very small sampling of what’s happening between now and Tuesday. There are literally DOZENS of events each day, so even if my picks don’t line up with yours there is sure to be something that catches your fancy. Check those links above for other wonderful events. See you at the pub!