Monday, June 30, 2014
Friday, June 27, 2014
Wednesday, June 25, 2014
Assaults in North Park
Time: 1600 hours
Location: 2700 Lincoln Ave, North Park Neighborhood
Incident #: 14060040179
On Saturday, June 21, 2014, at approximately 2140 hours, a lone adult female was walking on the 2700 block of Lincoln Avenue when she was hit from behind by two suspects. She was knocked to the ground and began fighting back. One of the suspects grabbed her clothing and attempted to pull them off. The female fought back and yelled for help. The suspects fled in an unknown direction and 2 bystanders came to the aid of the female. Neither the female nor the bystanders saw the suspects.
On Tuesday, June 17, 2014, at approximately 2330 hours a lone adult female was attacked by two males while walking on 3200 Meade Avenue. The female in this case also fought back and the suspects fled.
One suspect is described as a Hispanic male 28-29 years old, 6'0, wearing a hooded sweatshirt, and he spoke with a Spanish accent.
The other suspect is described as a White or Hispanic male 23-24 years old, 5’7-5'8, wearing a black shirt, braces.
The San Diego Police Department recommends that women in the area be aware of their surroundings and not walk alone. Investigators have been working both cases throughout the day and will provide additional information when it is available.
Anybody with information on this assault and/or suspect should call Crime Stoppers at (888) 580-8477 or the San Diego Police Department Sex Crimes Unit at (619) 531-2210.
(June 22) Last night on Lincoln, in between Idaho and Oregon st. in North Park I was walking home by myself when I was suddenly pushed to the ground from behind and immediately began taking punches by [what felt like] two men. They unsuccessfully attempted to sexually assault me while beating me then fled. I was sent to the hospital and was told I have a fractured nose, my right eye was swollen shut until just a couple of hours ago, the police, nurses, and doctors think I was dragged due to road rash, along with third degree burns from the soup I was carrying. Both of my hands are badly bruised. I look like a completely different person right now.
I'm not the only woman this has happened to, rather the sixth. This happened three blocks from where I live, the woman before me was assaulted on the 17th of this month. TUESDAY. I want everyone in the community to know this is happening, especially all of the women who live in my neighborhood and surrounding neighborhoods. Please keep an eye out for one another and be safe. I love you all so much.
NBC Coverage: http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/2-Women-Assaulted-in-North-Park-264236031.html
10News Coverage: http://www.10news.com/news/suspects-wanted-in-2-north-park-attacks
Monday, June 23, 2014
Friday, June 20, 2014
Thursday, June 19, 2014
Here are the details-
$7 (That’s almost like $1.75 per band- what a steal!)
~First up is “Monty”. Monty is self described as “Dark and dusk. Damp and cusp”. Monty is made up of 50% Meseta, so you know you’re in for a treat.
~After Monty, Peru 4 U is up. Peru 4 U is the culmination of solo endeavors from San Diego native Matt Peterson of Proud Moon. Peru 4 U’s distinct sound is made up of creative sampling, electronic drum beats, minimal but tasteful vocal parts and acoustic instrumentation that shouldn’t work BUT DOES. This will be Peru 4 U’s first live show.
~After Peru 4 U, DC-based band, The Obsessives are up. If you are a fan of Topshelf Records, you will love The Obsessives. This two-piece pulls influence from Weatherbox, Paramore, Into It Over It etc. Don’t miss em, they are coming all the way from the east coast… c’mon!
~Big Bad Buffalo finishes off the night. Pulling influence from bands such as Weezer and Faraquet, Big Bad Buffalo aim to have you singing along during the show, and disoriented afterwards. This will be the first date on their first tour up the coast. Expect surprises.
DONT MISS OUT, THERE ARE NO VIABLE EXCUSES, GAME OF THRONES IS OVER
Statistics show that the amount of fun you have at shows exponentially increases based on the
amount of friends you bring!
LISTEN TO MUSIC HERE
PERU 4 U
BIG BAD BUFFALO
sunday madness !
Wednesday, June 18, 2014
(Via Atlantic Records)
Owl John, aka Scott Hutchison of critically acclaimed Scottish group Frightened Rabbit, is proud to announce the release of his self-titled debut album, out August 5 on Canvasback Music/Atlantic Records. Hutchison has announced a handful of North American tour dates – traveling around the West Coast through the end of the month. For more ticket information and tour updates, please visit http://owljohn.com. The record, produced by Andy Monaghan of Frightened Rabbit and good friend Simon Liddell of Olympic Swimmers, was recorded between the Isle of Mull in Scotland and the West Coast of America. The first unveil of Owl John came with Hate Music, which can be listened to here.
Monday, June 16, 2014
The Che Cafe has been served a 30-day notice of eviction! After being called in for a meeting with no agenda we were informed that our lease was being terminated. More info soon on the specifics behind the University's reasoning, or lack thereof, to come soon.
During the meeting Vice-Chancellor Alan Houston noted that the major reason for this decision was a lack of student support. If you are a student/alumni, know students/alumni or are able to reach out to students/alumni, please express your support in writing to:
Vice Chancellor – Student Affairs, Alan Houston: firstname.lastname@example.org
Assistant Vice Chancellor-Student Life, Gary Ratcliff: email@example.com
Associated Students (AS) President, Robby Boparai: firstname.lastname@example.org
Graduate Students Association (GSA) President, Rahul Kapadia: email@example.com
Keep it cordial.
Thanks for the continued support,
La lucha sigue,
Saturday, June 14, 2014
Friday, June 13, 2014
While most people hold standard answers like, "things are good," or, "I'm fine," I actually take the time to answer. "I've never been busier nor happier." That's my standard answer, and if the person really wants me to elaborate, I gush about the Casbah and The North Park Theatre and life with Darren and Nova. I've never been more fulfilled by work in my whole life. Toss in the fact that at this time next month me and Darren and Nova will finally all live together, and I can't think of a happier time in my life. Things didn't necessarily time out the way I thought, but it turns out that my reality now is better than my fantasies 5, 10, and 15 years ago. Congratulations to all the students graduating, to the kids moving on to the next grade, and to everyone who takes the time to truly live. There's so much to capture this weekend. Get it hard.
Thursday, June 12, 2014
Bar and Restaurant owners in North Park are creating a World Cup FanZone in the heart of North Park, at 30th & University, with "Host Venues" showing all games throughout the month-long tournament. Festivites include a family-oriented "Kick-Off" street fair on June 8, 2014, to include a youth parade of nations, mini soccer tournament, skill activities, and live music. Final game to be shown on big screens placed on 30th Street during Closing Festival; also to include food vendors and beer garden...
It appears things have scaled back a bit (or else I completely missed the kick-off street fair which is totally plausible with the week I had last week), but over 20 venues in North Park will be broadcasting the World Cup games. Obviously hours and locations vary dependent on game times, but you can follow along and make your own schedule by checking out the official website here. There's more information from April in Uptown News. Be sure to hashtag #WCNP2014 as your out and about enjoying the games so fellow soccer lovers (and stalkers) can find you!
Be sure to like the page on FACEBOOK: https://www.facebook.com/WorldCupNorthPark
and Follow/Tag them on Twitter: https://twitter.com/WCNP2014 @WCNP2014 because a few people put in a lot of time to make this sweet possibility happen in our neighborhood.
UPDATE (6/12/14): Big news on opening day! With the help of the City of San Diego and North Park Main Street, several business owners in North Park, including Bar Pink, The OfficeBARSD, Caffe Calabria, Coin-Op Game Room, Waypoint Public, West Coast Tavern, Ritual Tavern, Lefty's, Rufskin, Fat Boys, and U-31, have pitched in to close down 30th St. and put a 20' wide jumbotron on the street for the World FIFA World Cup final match on July 13! It will be all-ages and free to the public!
The Office Bar
Soccerloco Fan Shop
West Coast Tavern
Monday, June 09, 2014
Rocky Votolato returns to the Casbah tonight for the first time since he released his last full-length album, Television of Saints, in 2012. Despite being a fan of his for quite sometime, that was my first time seeing Rocky Votolato live, so his 2014 West Coast tour is long overdue and welcomed. But I think it should speak volumes that he counts among Rosey's favorites. Although his 2006 release, Makers, was his breakthrough release, every album since finds his stripped-down approach maturing and providing even more complex melodies. His younger brother, Cody Votolato of Blood Brothers fame, will be backing him on electric guitar tonight, so expect a mix of spare acoustic arrangements with bursts of raw jagged energy. Opening for Rocky Votolato tonight is Lotte Kestner and Kevin Long. Doors are at 9pm tickets are $14 at the door.
Friday, June 06, 2014
Friday, June 6, 2014:
- Soda Bar Presents: The Donkeys CD Release w/ Extra Classic, Octagrape, John Meeks @ The Irenic (All Ages, Doors at 7pm, 10pm curfew)
- Sister Juanita, Amerikan Bear, Grizzly Business, The Young Gents @ Casbah
- SUNSET SESSIONS: 91X Presents: Open Air Stereo, The Whigs, The Last Internationale, Letters From The Fire, Kathryn Dean, Oh Be Clever, DJ Scratch n Sniff @ Belly Up
- Paper Diamond @ Bassmnt
- Neon Trees, Nightmare and the Cat, Smallpools @ Humphreys Main Stage
- Nashville Pussy, Catl, The Yawpers @ Soda Bar
- The Amandas @ Whistle Stop
- Global Guitar Greats @ AMSD
- Plastic City Pariah @ Tower Bar
- DJ Artistic, Nosucker DJs @ Bar Pink
- Goodnight Ravenswood, Moonshine Lucero, Troubadour Parade, Africats @ Che Cafe
- El Cuarteto de Charlie Arbelaez @ Croces Park West
- Bonefest 2 feat. Scott Kyle, Kevin Esposito, Matt Hall, Jordan Morita, Patrick Escalante, Erik Dewhirst, Gabriel Aldaz, Roy Brown, Matt Waters, Roger Wright, Matt Smith, Trevor Mulvey, Jason Shattil @ Dizzys
- Buttons, Offshore Impact, Sleep Spent, Rogue Stereo @ Epicentre
- T- Pain @ Fluxx
- Six String Society @ 98 Bottles
- Bart Bmore, Deth Hertz @ Bang Bang
- Sand Dollar, DJ R2 @ Gallaghers
- Bitch Please @ The Hideout
- Logic @ House Of Blues
- Caliber @ Humphreys
- Gibralter, Penny and Sparrow, Ryan Aderrey @ Lestats
- Helstar @ Ramona Mainstage
- The Routine CD Release Party w/ The Soulside Players @ 710 Beach Club
- Man Overboard, Transit, Forever Came Calling, Knuckle Puck @ Soma
- Forkroot, Lexington Field, Eric Hankins @ Tin Can
- The Brothers Comatose, Little Fuller Band @ Winstons
- Vinyl Junkies Record Swap @ Casbah (11am-5pm)
- Art Around Adams @ Adams Avenue, Various Venues
- Casbah Presents: Little Hurricane, Lincoln Durham. Ed Ghost Tucker @ House Of Blues
- Wanda Jackson, Shawn Rolf and the 7th Day Buskers @ Casbah
- Okapi Sun, Beautiful Machines @ Bar Pink
- SUNSET SESSIONS: 91X Presents: Scott Welland and the Wildabouts, Heartist, Welshly Arms, MegaFauna, The Young Presidents, Hero the Band, Dj Muggs @ Belly Up
- Third Eye Blind @ San Diego County Fair
- Lionel Richie, Cee Lo Green @ Sleep Train Amphitheatre
- Painted Palms, Soft Lions, Mike Sempert @ Soda Bar
- Buddy Banter, Wild Pack Of Canaries, Muscle Beech @ Tin Can
- Playboy Manbaby, Sundress, Days of Light Gravity, Owl and Penny, Bad Kids @ The Che Cafe
- Tierra and Malo @ Sycuan Casino
- Nightstands, Good As New, Was/Am/Was @ Epicentre
- Dj Karma @ Fluxx
- Lee K, Andrew Decade @ Bang Bang
- Crookers @ Bassmnt
- Dave Booda Band, Dj Chelu @ Gallaghers
- Cotto, Matrinez, Soca @ The Hideout
- Tradewinds, Rising Star @ Humphreys
- Aoife O'Donovan, Cleopatra Degher @ Lestats
- The Whiskey Avengers, The Stircrazies, Loose Nutts @ 710 Beach Club
- Final Last Words, Count To Four, It All Starts Here, Run the Course, Hannibal, Thrown Into March @ Soma
- Tierra Malo @ Sycuan
- Olmecs, Cabuloan @ Tower Bar
- The Sleepwalkers, The Bedbreakers @ Tio Leos
- Cubensis, Squirming Coils @ Winstons
- MAX, Alexz Johnson @ The Irenic (All Ages, Doors at 7pm, 10pm curfew)
- Brown Sabbath, Brownout @ Casbah
- Ryanhood, Owen Plant @ Lestats
- Voz de Mando @ San Diego County Fair
- Wild Ones, Idyll Wild, Paper Days @ Soda Bar
- The Littlest Viking, Monnone Alone, Karl Blau @ Sycamore Den
- Rat Sabbath, DJ Ratty @ Bar Pink
- Kevala Launch Party w/ Todo Mundo, Krista Richards, Kiyoshi, DJ Germer, Bossa Lounge Project, Luke Williams, Heaton Graham, Tim Flood @ Belly Up
- Dirty Kid Discount, Moon Bandits, Recidivist, Plastic City Pariah, Fry Hugs @ Che Cafe
- Intervention with Ferry Corsten @ Float, Hard Rock Hotel
- Madeon @ Bassmnt
- Fish Out Of Water @ Gallaghers
- Saosin, Anthony Green @ House Of Blues
- Stellita, Mindi Abair, Brandon Primus @ Humphreys
- Small City Calling, Ash Fenner, Color You @ 710 Beach Club
- Fatso Jetson, The Freeks, Finkbombs, Disastroid @ Tower Bar
- Buddy Whittington, DR Austin, Jose Sinatra hosts O.B.-o-ke @ Winstons
Tuesday, June 03, 2014
The surf event and music festival can be followed daily on the live webcast, a platform which last year had just under 1 million viewers tune in to watch their favorite surfers compete for a spot on the world tour at www.loscabosopenofsurf.com. With the surf contest starting the same day the caravan leaves San Diego, the surf webcast will perform daily updates of the caravan’s progress enabling viewers from around the globe to follow our local bands as they trek south through Baja.
The adventure down Baja will also be captured on film for a documentary to be released early 2015. The film will be directed by local surf and music enthusiast, Eric Sorensen, a former professional surfer who now spends his days as the Creative Content Director for Osiris Shoes and the Marketing Manager for Blvd Clothing Company where he works closely with American rapper Soulja Boy. The goal of the documentary is to detail the epic Baja adventure as well as motivate surf and music enthusiasts of So Cal to join the caravan in 2015.
“Caravan to Cabo” is the brain-child of local musician, Jonathan Savage, who played a show in Mazatlan Mexico in 2012 at a venue owned by the producers of the surfing event. Since 2012, Savage has booked nearly twenty California bands to visit and play shows in Mazatlan, a town he claims to have a vibrant and modern music scene. To Savage, “Caravan to Cabo” seemed like the next step in the direction to further connect the California music scene with Mexico, a place he claims has a rapidly progressing taste in popular music. Savage is not new to music event production having developed “Rock the Boat” in 2013, a first annual sold out event aboard a 500 capacity ship in Mission Bay which featured six bands including Dead Feather Moon, Deadly Birds, Pilot Touhill, The Tarr Steps, Oliver Trolley, and UpRooted. Next year Savage expects to expand the Los Cabos Open of Surf music festival to three days and include over 12 local bands to join the caravan.
People can follow the adventure on social media as it happens at #caravan2cabo or follow the surfing webcast to see how these local bands handle the rough Baja deserts, the big stage at Costa Azul, and the party scene of this major surfing event.
“Caravan to Cabo” bands Sister Juanita can be seen this Friday headlining the Casbah, while Todo Mundo can be found Sunday at the Belly Up. The bands will be collecting donations (new and used clothing and toys) at these local shows to be distributed as they drive down Baja, please contact the bands directly for more information on how to make a donation!
July 18- Jurassic 5
July 25- The Cult
August 1- Special Guest
August 2- Weezer
August 8- Steel Pulse
August 9- Counting Crows
August 15- Magic!
August 22- Special Guest
August 29- Steve Aoki
August 31- Reggae Fest feat Ziggy Marley
If you arrive AFTER the last race, you will be charged concert admission ($20).
No overnight parking available.
Monday, June 02, 2014
I got to work at the sold out Pete Yorn show at the Casbah. He was super cool and they gave out free shirts to the first 50 people. I'd heard that he was only going to play 8 songs and thankfully that wasn't true...he played about an hour and a half (without a setlist) spanning his many albums and even threw in a Warren Zevon cover. It was super sweet and after he took photos with fans, which we've finally gotten organized enough to handle to avoid crazy fan situations like we had with Sean Lennon. He hugged and cheek-kissed me goodnight, which would've been a cooler photo situation, but I'm not that needy. I have to admit that I associate PY with my shitty ex, so it was nice to realize I still love his music and created new memories with Darren present. And they paid me extra for being awesome at merch, so on top of the awesome show, tequila and beer, it was a super excellent night.