Friday, December 06, 2013
Sam released his first full length titled Nobody Loves (Black Hills Recordings) earlier this year. Twelve songs comprise the album, nicely produced and easy on the ears. This is an artist poised to take on whatever might stand in his way, with no reservations.
Check out the video about Sam Outlaw below. Tickets to see Escondido, Sam Outlaw and Derren Raser this Sunday at the Casbah can be purchased here.
SAM OUTLAW from Graham Lovelis on Vimeo.
Vinyl Junkies Record Swap Meet
When: Sat. Dec. 7th
Where: The Casbah 2501 Kettner Blvd San Diego, CA 92101
Cost: $3 at the door
Jeff Terich (San Diego City Beat Music Editor) 11- Noon
David J (BAUHAUS/LOVE & ROCKETS) Noon-1pm
Mike Halloran (91X DJ) 1-2pm
Mike Delgado (Moving Units/Shark Attack) 2-3pm
Matt Molarius (Singer for Transfer) 3-4pm
Craig Oliver (Runs Volar Records) 4-5pm
This bi-monthly event is not your every day record swap. We're combining what everyone loves together...Records, DJs, Adult Beverages, and Food! We have lots of vendors from all over Southern California participating. Thousands of records from most all genres will be available for purchase....Soul, Jazz, Punk, Funk, Rock, Indie, R&B, Reggae, Hip Hop, Metal, Electronic, Blues, and much more. We look forward to continuing this fun event for the most discriminating of record collectors as well as those just getting into the world of vinyl.
Friday, December 6, 2013:
- December Nights @ Balboa Park
- 91X Holiday Bonus Show with Fitz & The Tantrums, The Airborne Toxic Event, CHVRCHES, The Royal Concept @ Valley View Casino Center
- Casbah Presents: Black Joe Lewis, Radkey @ House of Blues
- Cadillac Tramps, The Creepy Creeps, Hard Fall Hearts, The nformals @ The Casbah
- Bile, Rabid Whole, Squirrelly Arts, They Feed at Night @ The Ken Club
- Soda Bar Presents: Everytime I Die, letlive, Code Orange Kids @ The Ché Café
- Soft Lions, Spaceships, Idyllwild @ The Soda Bar
- The Palace Ballroom, State To State, Manuok, The Gods of Science @ The Griffin
- Black Hondo, Artowar, Parker & The Numberman, Daygo Produce, Djs Mr. Henshaw, Unite, Pelengue, Sesh @ The Tower Bar
- Capsula @ Black Box (Tijuana)
- The Sure Fire Soul Ensemble, DJ Blow @ Seven Grand
- Queen Nation, The Police Experience @ Belly Up
- Amigo, Nite Crawlers, Chiefs @ Tin Can
- Cumbia Machin, La Sucursal De La Cumbia, La Mala Vibra @ Til-Two Club
- Growing Up Stupid, The Hallowed, Fight The Future, Impale Thy Neighbor, The Shallow End, Diminish The Opressor @ The Epicentre
- First Friday with No Sucker DJs @ Bar Pink
- The Fabulous Pelicans @ Belly Up (5:30),
- Fred Barchetta, The Great White Zeppelin, Back 2 Black @ Brick By Brick
- Jacques Lesure Trio w/ Ty Baillie @ Dizzy's
- Patrick Lanzetta (5:00), JAM KWEST, Eddie Blunt & High Tide, Roots of Mine (9:30) @ 710 Beach Club
- Spectacular w/ DJ Ikon @ Fluxx
- Funks Most Wanted, DJ R2 @ Gallagher's
- Ruby & The Red Hots (5:00), The Groove Factory (9:00) @ Humphrey's Backstage
- 22 Kings, Cleopatra Degher, Mike James @ Lestat's
- Brent Curtis @ The Marble Room
- Nekrogoblikon, Dead Serial Killers, Damcyan, Gravespell @ Ramona Mainstage
- Blood On The Dancefloor, Farewell My Love, The Relapse Symphony, Haley Rose, Lionfight @ Soma
- ASCE Presents: The New Division @ The Loft
- Pharmacy, Hocus, Social Spit, Courage You Bastards @ The Shakedown Bar
- Leon's Old School Karaoke Show @ Tio Leo's
- Simpkin Project with special guests Piracy Conspiracy and Maitland Roots @ Winston's
So I had this dilemma about shows tonight. While I was sad to miss Will Hoge at The Griffin, I was excited about seeing Pete Yorn's new band, The Olms at Casbah, only to realize it was the same night as My Jerusalem at Soda. Jeff sold me on Soda Bar by promising a drive to The Constellation Room next week for The Olms. With that, I have to say My Jerusalem was a solid choice for the night.
The band stuck to mostly new material and stuff from the second record, they threw in a few from their debut that made me feel like it was the perfect set.
Wednesday, December 04, 2013
Sometimes a show is memorable because you danced your ass off and/or rocked the fuck out. Sometimes a show is memorable because the performer put on an incredibly dynamic musical showcase.
James Blake has the latter down to a science.
Tuesday, December 03, 2013
|photo courtesy Andrew Whitton|
The aforementioned tour stops here in San Diego at the House of Blues on Wednesday December 11. Be sure to arrive early for Nashville's Kopecky Family Band. This is an all ages show, tickets can be purchased here.
Watch a video of Further Away (Romance Police) by Lissie below.
Watch a video of Sleepwalking by Lissie below.
Monday, December 02, 2013
Guitar virtuoso Kaki King headlines an intimate gig at the Casbah on Tuesday...Together Pangea and The So So Glos co-headline for a raucous show at Soda Bar...
On Wednesday Howie Day makes a rare SD appearance at The Griffin...alternative rockers Beware of Darkness roll into Soda Bar...
Austin's My Jerusalem return to Soda Bar on Thursday..Nashville's Will Hoge headlines Soda Bar...Pete Yorn's new project The Olms make a Casbah stop...
Newly formed local band Soft Lions (Boy King, The New Kinetics) debut on Friday at Soda Bar...Electronic band The New Division will be at The Loft...
On Saturday New York duo MS MR play their rescheduled show at Soda Bar...a limited number of tix will be available at the door (get there early)...
Escondido, a folk band from Nashville, make their SD debut at the Casbah on Sunday...underrated Canadian singer Hayden headlines Soda Bar...
91X is presenting two all ages holiday shows this week, both at the Valley View Casino Center...tickets are still available for Friday's show, info can be found here...
KPRI's Holiday Soiree is on Sunday at the California Center for the Arts in Escondido...tickets can be purchased here.
This represents a slice of the musical pie awaiting music fans of all ages in San Diego...be sure to act responsibly and attend a show (or two)...
Watch a video of Someone Else's Girl by The Olms below..
Watch a video of Cold October by Escondido below.
Monday, December 2, 2013:
- Anti-Monday League feat. Grizzly Business, Spero, Shane Hall & the Diabolicals @ Casbah
- Big Country Elephant, Boondock Brothers, Troup @ Soda Bar
- St Cloud Sleepers, The Flowerthief, The Dexter Riley Xperiment, Leanna May @ The Griffin
- The Tin Can Country Club feat. Fast Heart Mart @ Tin Can
- Monday Night Mass with Husky Boy All Stars @ Bar Pink
- Nightmares on Wax, Illuminauts @ Belly Up
- Wood Spider, Sledding With Tigers, more TBA @ Che Cafe
- Monday Night Madness @ House of Blues
- Industry Night @ FLUXX
- The Monday Night Spot feat Yodah & Joey Jimenez @ Henry's
- Dave Scott & Monsoon Jazz @ Croce's
- Robin Henkel @ Humphrey's Backstage Live
- Monday Night Madness @ House of Blues
- Open Mic hosted by Chad Taggert @ Lestat's
- Karaoke @ Til-Two Club
- Electric Waste Band @ Winston's
- Karaoke @ Coyote Bar & Grill
- WG & the G-Men @ Patrick's Gaslamp Pub
- Monday Night Jams @ 710 Beach Club
- Doug Allen @ The Kraken
Friday, November 29, 2013
Friday, November 29, 2013:
- Gone Baby Gone, The Filthy Violets, The Phantoms, The Frights @ Casbah
- Casbah Presents Polar Bear Club, Citizen, Diamond Youth, Sainthood Reps @ The Irenic
- Cantaloop Media Presents The Silent Comedy, Glasmus,Love & The Skull, Madame Ur y Sus Hombres @ Black Box (Tickets at the Door, or get info for special packages with transportation at TuristaLibre.com)
- The Donkeys @ Whistle Stop
- 91X Moustache Formal with DJ Robin Roth and more @ The Lafayette (6pm)
- Fever The Ghost, Golden Beaches, Island Boy, Tiger Milk Imports @ Soda Bar
- The Beautiful View, Okayokay!, One I Red @ Tower Bar
- Irish Christmas in America @ AMSD
- Benefit For The Phillipines: Never Pass Go, The Mice, Fourtracks, Batlords, Western Settings @ Til-Two Club
- Super Buffet @ Ken Club
- Badabing, Mittens, Death By Snoo Snoo @ Tin Can
- Hello Highway, Last Call Home, So Far Gone, The End Return, Calibrate Me @ House of Blues Fifth Avenue Side Stage
- Random Radio @ Bahia Belle
- Fam Royal @ Bar Pink
- A Groundation Thanksgiving with Paula Fuga, Mike Love @ Belly Up
- Crystal Bowersox, Seth Glier @ The Griffin
- Left For Dead @ Belly Up (5:30pm)
- Serve The People Emergency Relief Fundraiser @ World Beat Center
- The Devil Wears Prada, The Ghost Inside, Volumes, Texas In July @ Soma
- The Dan Band @ House of Blues
- The New Rich, The Harpers Live @ Artlab Studios
- Renown flugelhornist Dmitri Matheny returns with Phoenix pianist Nick Manson, Justin Grinnell bass, & Duncan Moore drums @ Dizzy's
- Danielle Slathas, 23 Shades, Tyler Boone @ Lestat's
- Michele Lundeen @ Humphrey's Backstage Lounge (5-7pm)
- Beta Maxx @ Humphrey's Backstage Lounge (9pm)
- Family Affair with DJs Artistic, Felt1, Mr. Hek @ El Camino
- Rising Star @ Tio Leo's
- OB Comedy with Kim Thompson and Duante Cordova @ Winston's (6-9pm)
- In Motion Collective, Sure Fire Soul Ensemble, DJ Question & Marcellus @ Winston's
- Gunner Gunner, Wilson Renette, Decompression @ The Shakedown
- Kirk Ward @ 710 Beach Club (5-8pm)
- High Noon, Saline Solutions, Tim & The 23s @ 710 Beach Club (9:30pm)
- Brent Curtis @ Marble Room
- Mother Mary Mood, Blood Dancer, Xolmani @ Brick By Brick
- The Beat Kitchen: Question, Charlie Rock, Freddie Joachim @ El Dorado
- Spectacular with DJ Scooter @ Fluxx
- Good Times with Rev & Yodah @ Henry's
Saturday, November 30, 2013:
- "You Play Me Yours, I'll Play You Mine: A Community Music Exchange" @ Digital Gym (2921 El Cajon Blvd, 2-4pm, More info & registration)
- Redd Kross, Octa#grape, Joel Jerome + Babies on Acid @ Casbah
- The Hollerin, Brothers Weiss, Leanna May and the Matadors, Love & The Skull @ Soda Bar
- Soda Bar & Invisible Children present Julianna Barwick, Mark McGuire (Emeralds) @ Luce Loft (1037 J St)
- Dave Buck presents A Night of Blues with Jimmy Ruelas, Gary Hankins, El Al @ Black Cat
- Diamonds In The Back with Dmitri & Co @ Whistle Stop
- Country Club with Grampa Drew & Matt Strachota @ Whistle Stop (5pm)
- Holiday Hangover feat. The Cured - The Cure tribute, Strangelove - Depeche Mode tribute, Really Idol - Billy Idol tribute, Fears for Tear - Tears for Fears tribute @ House of Blues
- 99th Floor, Schitzophonics, DJ Tony The Tiger @ Tower Bar
- The Nite Crawlers, nutstache, Masteria @ Ken Club
- A Groundation Thanksgiving with Paula Fuga, Mike Love @ Belly Up
- Funk 101 feat Stevie & The Hi-Stax, DJ Barry Thomas @ Bar Pink
- Modern Life is War, Somali Pirates, Suspect @ Che Cafe
- Viva Santana @ The Griffin
- Birdzilla, Ruben Lady, Sacri Monti @ Tin Can
- Art of Sound 4 Year Anniversary feat. DJ Harvey, Doc Martin, Paluka, Cris Herrera @ Spin
- Laura Leighe, Teresa Storch, The Santana Brothers @ Lestat's
- Judith Hill, Chyla @ House of Blues 5th Avenue Side Stage
- CD Release Event for “Conversations” from jazz guitar virtuoso Mark Augustin & transcendent vocalist Lisa Hightower @ Dizzy's
- The Reflectors @ Humphrey's Backstage Lounge (5-7pm)
- Detroit Underground @ Humphrey's Backstage Lounge (9pm)
- Full Strength Funk Band @ Tio Leo's
- The Earful, Delta Nove @ Winston's
- Middle Class Rejects @ The Shakedown
- Joe Cardillo, Dave Booda @ Marble Room
- Rock Star Saturdays with Yodah, DJ E @ Henry's
- Allison Chains, Black Sabbitch, Smack This @ Brick By Brick
- Boys & Girls vs Hickies feat. Adam Salter, Saul Q, Don't Go Jason Waterfalls @ El Dorado
- Spectacular with Sid Vicious @ Fluxx
- Danny & The Tramp, DJ Arox @ Gallagher's
- Devocean, Brothers Gow, Low Budget @ 710 Beach Club
- The Babys, The Roni Lee Group, Teaser, Burning Down @ Ramona Mainstage
- Karaoke @ Analog
- SoNo Park Holiday Fest & Chili Palooza @ 32nd & Thorn
- An Evening With Rufus Wainwright @ Belly Up
- Capsula, The Wooly Bandits, Zero Zero @ Casbah
- Neighbors To The North, Muscle Beech, Cut @ Soda Bar
- Poontang Clam, Batlords (Covering The Spits), DJ Matt Parker @ Til-Two Club
- City Mouse, Floor Notes @ Bar Pink
- Fat Tour 2013 feat. Less Than Jake, Anti-Flag, Masked Intruder, Get Dead @ House of Blues
- Almost Famous Karaoke @ Henry's
- Lust For Youth, Hive Mind, Sunwheel @ The Void
- CD Release Event for jazz bassist Justin Grinnell’s debut CD featuring Josh Nelson piano, Dan Schnelle drums, & Robby Marshall woodwinds @ Dizzy's
- Legacy Pack, Destructo Bunny, DJ Chelu @ Gallagher's
- Jose Sinatra Ob-O-Ke @ Winston's
- Robin Henkel @ Humphrey's Backstage Lounge (10am-2pm)
- Bayou Brothers @ Humphrey's Backstage Lounge (7pm)
- Football Bingo/Game Night @ 710 Beach Club
Tuesday, November 26, 2013
Tickets to Nightlands , StaG, and Jeans Wilder this Wednesday at Soda Bar can be purchased here.
Watch a video of I Fell in Love with a Feeling by Nightlands below.
Watch a video of To the Moon by Nightlands below.
Buy Your Passes Here
You can also buy Gift Vouchers and knock out your Christmas shopping in a few clicks!
So anyway, here's the deal. You buy annual membership, you get general admission to all of the following museums for 365 days from the date of purchase:
San Diego Museum of Man
The San Diego Museum of Art
the NAT (San Diego Natural History Museum)
Centro Cultural de la Raza
Japanese Friendship Garden
Mingei International Museum
Museum of Photographic Arts
Reuben H. Fleet Science Center
San Diego Air and Space Museum
San Diego Art Institute-Museum of the Living Artist
San Diego Automotive Museum
San Diego Hall of Champions Sports Museum
San Diego History Center
San Diego Model Railroad Museum
Timken Museum of Art
Veterans Museum and Memorial Center
World Beat Center
Adult $129 ~ ages 18 and up
Student $99 ~ valid for full time students with valid ID
Senior $99 ~ ages 65 and up with valid ID
Family $199 ~ Valid for up to 6 family members (up to two adults/up to four children ages 3-17. Additional children are $25 each)
And since I went into the Visitor's Center to purchase my pass today, I'll say that if you can wait the 5-7 days for your cards, just order online. If you want to go to museums immediately, go in the office, they'll have you purchase online at their old computers, and they'll give you printed booklets valid for one week with a single pass for each museum. The employees/docents/volunteers are extremely courteous, but the Explorer passes were just announced last week, so they're overwhelmed. If you can wait, just buy your own passes online.
The U-T apparently misprinted and said a family pass was up to 4 adults and 4 children. Not so. "Children" are ages 3-17, so your infants and toddlers are fine (though if they're turning three within a year, you'll want to get them their own cards). Adults are 18+. If your "child" is actually an adult, they might qualify for the student pass, or as your second adult, but otherwise will require a full adult pass for $129. In the short time I was in the office, you wouldn't believe how many people were already gaming the system. They don't question your "family" unit, but don't try and work them.
Lastly, many of the museums offer gift shop discounts and special mailers, events and newsletters to their members. The Explorer Card does NOT give any of the perks- no discounts, special exhibits, private event invites, guest passes, etc. If you have the dough, support your favorite museum or museums individually. This is for people who live on the cheap like me, and once you get over that initial purchase, you can be broke as a joke and still always have a place to go. I can't wait to take our first bike outing to museum hop with my little familial unit.
For more Balboa Park information, click here.
Here's the deal:
The Silent Comedy
Madame Ur y Sus Hombres
Love & The Skull
at Black Box (6th and Revolucion)
Tickets are 50 pesos at the door, ages 18+
For the Turista Libre package, you get
- transportation from border (with Derrick walking you across the border from McDonald's)
- drinks on the bus
- pre-show drink at Baja Craft Beers Tasting Room with the bands!
- entrance to the show
- return trip to U.S. border
Sunday, November 24, 2013
Friday, November 22, 2013
Thursday, November 21, 2013
In 2009 Miss Hill was chosen to be none other than Michael Jackson's duet partner for This Is It. His untimely death resulted in the cancellation of the tour, while Judith sang at the memorial service. The documentary 20 Feet From Stardom features a long list of performers including Judith. Her powerful voice is rooted in soul, r&b and pop, while the training and experience as a back up singer has readied her for the limelight.
Tickets to see Judith Hill at the House of Blues on November 30 can be purchased here. This is an all ages show.
Watch a video of Judith Hill performing #thatPower from The Voice.