Wednesday, July 30, 2014
Sunday, July 27, 2014
Friday, July 25, 2014
Thursday, July 24, 2014
My Comic-Con experience is already very different from years past, as Pyles and I have new jobs we have to work into our week, but we made it downtown yesterday with plenty of time to bump into Hillary & Ciro and the FM 94/9 crew, grab our badges and get onto the floor at 6pm.
Man, have I just let pop culture pass me by in the past year. I think the only shows that I watch that are represented this year are Adventure Time and Key & Peele. I gave up on True Blood, never watched Breaking Bad, and though I loved Walking Dead, you miss a few episodes abd the whole thing gets away from you.
So walking the floor is pretty foreign to me. What is everyone running to? Why the lines? And how many thousands of dollars can one family spend on Hasbro and Mattel toys? But it's fun, feverish, and not the place to be if you're prone to anxiety attacks. Today, we're hitting the Wired Lounge, doing a walk through of the Assassin's Creed parkour course, and then I'm off to work at The North Park Theatre for Steam Powered Giraffe.
Wednesday, July 23, 2014
Tuesday, July 22, 2014
Monday, July 21, 2014
Sorry, but tonite's show has been cancelled due to illness of one of the band members from Nightmare and the Cat. Refunds will be issued. Hope to reschedule sometime soon. Sorry for any inconvenience.
The Casbah will be open again tomorrow for Cayucas. Here's what's on deck for the week:
Tue Jul 22 - Cayucas, Hands, Idyll Wild
Wed Jul 23 - Matt Pryor (The Get Up Kids /The New Amsterdams), What's Eating Gilbert (featuring Chad Gilbert of New Found Glory), The Josh Berwanger Band (The Anniversary/The Only Children)
Thu Jul 24 - Boris, Mustard Gas and Roses
Fri Jul 25 - Flying Lotus, Peaking Lights, Maria Minerva, M Geddes, Mirage
Sat Jul 26 - The Muffs, The Loons, Aquadolls, The Touchies
Sun Jul 27 - Municipal Waste, To The Point, WitchHaven, Eukaryst
Tickets for Boris and Flying Lotus are selling fast this week, so don't wait or they could be gone!!
Saturday, July 19, 2014
Tuesday, July 15, 2014
Monday, July 14, 2014
Friday, July 11, 2014
Wednesday, July 09, 2014
|Wye Oak (Jenn Wasner and Andy Stack) Photo courtesy of Grandstand Media|
Tuesday, July 08, 2014
|The Night Terrors of 1927 (Blake Sennett and Jarrod Gorbel) photo courtesy of Atlantic Records|
FM 94/9 Independence Jam returns to the Oceanside Pier Amphitheater on Sunday, September 7th! Presented by Miller Lite.
Playing on the FM 94/9 Main Stage & Red Bull Tour Bus Stage:
J Roddy Walston & The Business
and Little Hurricane
Tickets are only $17 and are on sale at - www.IndependenceJam.com
A promo code for $12 tickets is available for Tribe 94/9 Members. Sign up at - http://www.fm949sd.com/Join.aspx
*$12 tickets are limited
#IndieJam2014 #IndependeceJam #IndieJam @fm949sd
Monday, July 07, 2014
Sunday, July 06, 2014
Sunday, July 6, 2014:
- Big Bad Buffalo tour kick off, The Obsessives (DC), Peru 4 U (NY), Monty @ Che Cafe
- Foreign Suns, Boychick, Future Age @ Soda bar
- Def Leppard and Kiss, Kobra and the Lotus, Jake Dreyer @ Sleep Train Amphitheatre
- The Crocodiles @ Whistle Stop
Venetian Snares, Surachi@ Casbah
- Dave Booda, Tolan Shaw, Chris WIlson feat. Endoxi @ Belly Up
- Irving Flores @ Croces Park West
- Gareth Emery, Christina Novelli @ Float, Hard Rock Hotel
- Jesse Davis, Funk's Most Wanted @ Humphreys
- Bob Weir, Ratdog @ Humphreys (Sold Out)
- Michael Jackson the History Show @ Balboa Theatre
- Ezequiel Pena @ San Diego County Fair
- Trapdoor Special @ Lestats
- Sunday Funday Karaoke @ 710 Beach Club
- Destructo Bunny, Jose Sinatra Hosts O-B-oke @ Winstons
Friday, July 04, 2014
Wednesday, July 02, 2014
Wednesday, July 2, 2014:
- Brother & Bones, Soda Pants, Crimson House @ Casbah
- Casbah presents Peter Murphy @ Belly Up
- Brian Warren (Weatherbox), Todos Caeran, Butler, Pale, Uncle Jesse @ Che Cafe
- Casbah presents The Reigning Sound, The Heartaches, International Dipshit @ Soda Bar
- REO Speedwagon, The Moderates @ Grandstand, San Diego County Fair
- The Freightshakers @ Rock On Stage, San Diego County Fair
- Lit @ Paddock Series, San Diego County Fair
- Dead Broke Down, Zach Oakley, David Zimmerle @ Tin Can
- Moonpool, Viva Apollo, The Steinbacks, The Cobra-Las @ Shakedown
- Synergy @ Winston's
- Robert Meade, Connor Correll @ Lestat's
- Lovelight Open Mic @ The Hideout
- Young Lion Series feat Lizzi Trumbore @ Croce's Park West
- Slipping Into Darkness, H St., Cult Vegas, Northern Tigers, DJ Mike Delgado (Moving Units) @ U-31
- Gilbert Castellanos Jazz Jam @ Seven Grand
- The Tighten Up! @ El Dorado
- Records with Roger @ Bluefoot
- DJ Heather Hardcore @ Til-Two Club
- Big Daddy Orchestra @ Humphrey's Backstage Live
- Neighbors To The North @ Gallagher's Irish Pub
- Club M.A.W. @ Henry's Pub
- Future Wednesdays @ Kava Lounge
- Joe Cardillo @ Wonderland Ocean Pub
- Open Mic @ The Merrow
- Open Mic/Open Jam @ 710 Beach Club
- Johnny Tarr @ Henry's Pub (7:30-9:30)
- DJ Christopher London @ Henry's Pub (9:30-close)
- Christopher Dale Acoustic @ Tio Leo's
Ronnie Spector performs live on July 3. This is a 21+ seated show. Doors at 8pm. DJ Claire will spin vinyl, Ronnie Spector takes the stage at 9pm. Park at the nearby structure (entrance on 29th) for just $5 all night.
And more about the show below.
Ronnie Spector came from Spanish Harlem and before her 20th birthday changed the look, style and sound of Rock and Roll forever as the leader of the quintessential "Girl Group," The Ronettes. While still in her teens, she was touring the world with The Rolling Stones and Eric Clapton and The Yardbirds as her opening act. From being personally requested by The Beatles to open up their final tour, to holding court with the Stones and Bob Dylan at Ondines, Ronnie was on top of the Rock and Roll world in the turbulent '60s. As bright as her star shined, with her 1968 marriage to infamous record producer Phil Spector, all of that would be taken from her - the stage, her fans, the recording studio and ultimately her identity. At the peak of her career, it all ended suddenly behind electrical gates and guard dogs, amid nonstop psychological and emotional torture. Ronnie Spector would not be seen anywhere, let alone on stage, for many years as she fought to survive Phil Spector's obsessive and abusive behavior.
A captivating production detailing Ronnie's unique odyssey from NYC's Peppermint Lounge to Beverly Hills, from hit records to hit men, to eventually being inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2007. Beyond The Beehive tells the story of how Ronnie Spector transformed herself from victim to the ultimate Rock and Roll Survivor.
Tuesday, July 01, 2014
I have never been much of a metal fan, yet Deafheaven managed to create one of the most powerful opening salvo of any album I have ever listened to. The San Francisco black metal band is playing the Casbah tonight and you had better be there too. Plenty of electronic ink has been spilled chronicling this bands pedigree and frankly, I'll spare most of you. All I have to ask for the uninitiated is that Deafheaven's opening single " Dream House" became one of the most complete musical experiences I have ever heard recorded. It sounds like hyperbole, because this band achieves a level of profundity in 9 minutes that other artists spend entire discographies trying to reach. Do yourself a favor and give "Dream House" (video after the jump) a listen, I trust you won't regret it.