Tuesday, December 31, 2013
In Motion Collective 8:30-9:45
Low Volts 9:50-10:20
DJ Beto 10:20-11:45
Low Volts 11:45-12:30
DJ Beto 12:30-1:45
Blackout Party 10:40-11:20
Ziggy Shuffledust & The Spiders From Mars 11:45-12:45
Dead Feather Moon 10:15-11:15
Monday, December 30, 2013
Friday, December 27, 2013
If you're looking for a great New Year's Eve show without droves of people and chaos, consider the Casbah's lineup with Terraplane Sun, Jackson Price, The Paragraphs, and The Yes Team. Tickets are only $20 and still available. TICKETS
Of course, you know I'll be working at the Lafayette and there are only 25 tickets left, so if you're hoping to celebrate on The Boulevard, get those tickets now.
Thursday, December 26, 2013
Thursday December 26, 2013:
- Saint Diego, Radios Silent, Grizzly Business, Action Andy & the Hi-Tones @ Casbah
- Casbah Presents: The Growlers, The Abigails, Mystic Braves @ Belly Up
- Anna Troy, Brendan Bourgeois, Donna Larsen @ Lestat's
- Sue Palmer @ Croce's
- Clay Colton @ Humphrey's Backstage Live
- King Schascha & Irusalem @ Winston's
- Rovk N Roll Preservation Society DJs @ Tower Bar
- Johnny Vernazza @ Patrick's Gaslamp Pub
- Moonlight Serenade Orchestra @ Crystal Ballroom (414 N. Magnolia, El Cajon)
- BS Productions Presents: A Night in the Ukraine @ 98 Bottles
- Gaslamp Killer, Mateo, KC3PO, Sleeve, 10shun @ Kava Lounge
- Maka Roots, The I Sight Band, DJ Reefah @ Gallagher's Irish Pub
- Mor Sol @ Coyote Bar & Grill
- Steve Orr @ Crush (Solana Beach)
- Goodall Boys @ McP's Irish Pub
- The Clamjammers @ 710 Beach Club
Monday, December 23, 2013
Friday, December 20, 2013
Thursday, December 19, 2013
Watch a video of Meditations from Forever (Captured Tracks) by Holograms below.
Sharing the bill are art punk rock band TV Ghost, hailing from the Midwest (IN). Disconnect (In the Red) was released earlier this year and is music of a darker nature. Comparisons have been made to Echo & the Bunnymen, though there is a harsher nature to their songs. This is punk rock of the hypnotic form, easy to drift to without getting lost. A great way to set the table for the headliner.
Watch a video of Five Colors Blind by TV Ghost below.
Be sure to arrive early for local goodness compliments of Tropical Popsicle (LP release). A great night of music at a great venue. What else could you possibly want? Tickets can be purchased in advance here.
Wednesday, December 18, 2013
Anyway, the lineup is out and it is pretty exciting. Since Darren's Van will be out on the road (accepting reservations now!), I will once again be working the front door of the event to greet all of the beautiful people.
This year, New Year's Eve at the Lafayette features Transfer, Ziggy Shuffledust, Dead Feather Moon, Blackout Party, Low Volts, In Motion Trio, DJ Beto, and The Visual Underground handling all the cool lights and projections and installations and such.
This has sold out in advance every year. Don't wait! Get your tickets now.
Monday, December 16, 2013
Sunday, December 15, 2013
|National Maple Syrup Day|
Catch local singer-songwriter Tristan Prettyman on Monday at the Belly Up...
Indie pop trio Lovers (Portland) play an intimate gig on Tuesday at the Tin Can...they recently released their seventh studio effort A Friend in the World...
On Wednesday The Casbah presents Polica, making their second San Diego area appearance, this time in the larger confines of the Belly Up...
Singer-actress Rebecca Pidgeon returns to Lestat's for a cozy show on Thursday...she just released her seventh album, Blue Dress On...
Friday's pick is Holograms (Sweden) and TV Ghost (IN) over at Soda Bar...
Check the listings for a show on Saturday..
El Vez and Rosie Flores present their Mexmas show at the Casbah on Sunday...sounds like a great way to cap the weekend..
A great week of music lies waiting for the music fans in San Diego...support local venues and act responsibly while doing so...
Watch a video of My Oh My by Tristan Prettyman below.
Watch a video of Oh Yeah by Lovers below.
Friday, December 13, 2013
Thursday, December 12, 2013
In October of 1999, I was just a year out of college. I was working at my first ad agency, I was freshly single, and life's possibilities were limitless. And then I decided to adopt a dog. My parents cautioned against it, saying I'd never be able to travel around the world like my sister did, that a dog was a liability, but I was okay with that. Visiting the shelter weekly, sometimes daily, I waited for the right dog to speak to me. And then one day, she did. The shelter hadn't even fixed Pascha, they put her in the last kennel with four other dogs and had pretty much ruled her unadoptable. She wasn't a puppy, she was skittish, flashes of light put her into minor seizures, and her spine was injured from abuse. But the day we met, she looked at me, raised an eyebrow, and I knew that I now belonged to her and she belonged to me. I picked her up the next day, and proud of my first real adult decision, I decided to introduce her to my family. I loaded her in my Mazda and drove to Chula Vista. She was terrified during that first long car ride, so she crawled behind me.I reclined the seat and just leaned back on her and she proceeded to pee all over my back right around the Plaza Boulevard off ramp. But what could I do but keep driving and take her to meet my parents.
Her behavior was really challenging at times. I used to keep shoes under the bed and at least 8 pairs were chewed on before I got the message. For the first year, she would just hide under the bed whenever any guests came over, and once she got over that, she'd bark incessantly until the guest would give her a cookie, but it took several years before she'd make eye contact with someone new. At one point we were a family with three cats and Pascha, and she sometimes didn't realize her size and would play a little too rough with Boo and Monkey and Kiwi. But she was also awesome. She loved going for walks, to the park, in the car, or xozying up to me back to back when I'd stay up all night and sleep all day long.
My life now is wildly different than it was in 1999, and overall, things are pretty amazing for me, but I am definitely going to have puffy eyes and a heavy heart as I get over the fact that Pascha is no longer with me. She was an incredible dog, as most dogs are. She had been unhealthy, chomping off most of the hair on her back and tail this summer, but with Darren's care, she was going on daily walks, we switched to healthier food, and it seemed like she would be with me for at least a few more years. But suddenly she wasn't well. She was staggering around, having trouble breathing, gagging, and her stomach inflated and after a Google search, I realized that it was very possible that she had bloat, or gastric dilatation and volvulus. Basically dogs like Pascha get too much air in their body and their stomach just flips. In retrospect, I think it has happened before but she got better, but this time was the last. Thousands of dollars in surgery would've probably revealed that all the tissue in her stomach was dead. Realistically, even if I had the thousands to spend, I couldn't put my dog through that.
And so it was, Pascha was super sick and we took her to the vet hoping for a different prognosis, but in my heart I knew, and after laying on the bed with her for a couple hours, I think she knew, too, and I believe that she told me it was time. Everyone at Bodhi was great, and there was no upsell in trying to sway our decision, and in the end, Darren and I held her as she took her final breath and went to sleep forever.
Wednesday, December 11, 2013
Wednesday and Thursday archives are after the jump.
Tuesday, December 10, 2013
|Ivan & Alyosha|
If you haven't had the opportunity to see Ivan & Alyosha live (their most recent SD appearance was as opener for Brandi Carlile at Humphrey's), be sure to catch them this Friday at Soda Bar. This is the perfect band to see during the holidays, as their songs are so upbeat and full of life. Tickets can be purchased in advance here.
Watch a video of Be Your Man by Ivan & Alyosha below.
Watch a video of Running For Cover by Ivan & Alyosha below.
Monday, December 09, 2013
On Monday Toronto indie rockers Dinosaur Bones make a stop at Soda Bar...
Consult the listings for Tuesday's lineup and choose wisely...
Lissie plays her biggest San Diego show to date on Wednesday at the House of Blues...Nashville's Kopecky Family Band open for a great bill...The Black Crowes hit the Balboa Theatre for a sold out show...
L.A's eight piece band The Mowgli's swoop into The Griffin for Thursday's show of the night...Chillwave artist Slow Wave headlines the Casbah...
On Friday Seattle's up and coming indie pop rockers Ivan & Alyosha play an intimate gig at Soda bar...highly recommended...North County has a great local bill with Transfer and The Drowning Men at the Belly Up...
Saturday finds Lee Ranaldo (Sonic Youth) and the Dust stopping for a show at the Casbah...
The Clavin sisters band Bleached plays Soda Bar on Sunday...Kitten returns to the Casbah with the young and very talented lead singer Chloe Chaidez...
All in all, a great week of music awaits the pre-holiday show revelers...support the bands and the venues by attending a show (or two).
Watch a video of Nothing Left Between the Lines by Dinosaur Bones below.
Watch a video of The Great Divide by The Mowgli's below.
Friday, December 06, 2013
Sam released his first full length titled Nobody Loves (Black Hills Recordings) earlier this year. Twelve songs comprise the album, nicely produced and easy on the ears. This is an artist poised to take on whatever might stand in his way, with no reservations.
Check out the video about Sam Outlaw below. Tickets to see Escondido, Sam Outlaw and Derren Raser this Sunday at the Casbah can be purchased here.
SAM OUTLAW from Graham Lovelis on Vimeo.
Vinyl Junkies Record Swap Meet
When: Sat. Dec. 7th
Where: The Casbah 2501 Kettner Blvd San Diego, CA 92101
Cost: $3 at the door
Jeff Terich (San Diego City Beat Music Editor) 11- Noon
David J (BAUHAUS/LOVE & ROCKETS) Noon-1pm
Mike Halloran (91X DJ) 1-2pm
Mike Delgado (Moving Units/Shark Attack) 2-3pm
Matt Molarius (Singer for Transfer) 3-4pm
Craig Oliver (Runs Volar Records) 4-5pm
This bi-monthly event is not your every day record swap. We're combining what everyone loves together...Records, DJs, Adult Beverages, and Food! We have lots of vendors from all over Southern California participating. Thousands of records from most all genres will be available for purchase....Soul, Jazz, Punk, Funk, Rock, Indie, R&B, Reggae, Hip Hop, Metal, Electronic, Blues, and much more. We look forward to continuing this fun event for the most discriminating of record collectors as well as those just getting into the world of vinyl.
So I had this dilemma about shows tonight. While I was sad to miss Will Hoge at The Griffin, I was excited about seeing Pete Yorn's new band, The Olms at Casbah, only to realize it was the same night as My Jerusalem at Soda. Jeff sold me on Soda Bar by promising a drive to The Constellation Room next week for The Olms. With that, I have to say My Jerusalem was a solid choice for the night.
The band stuck to mostly new material and stuff from the second record, they threw in a few from their debut that made me feel like it was the perfect set.
Wednesday, December 04, 2013
Sometimes a show is memorable because you danced your ass off and/or rocked the fuck out. Sometimes a show is memorable because the performer put on an incredibly dynamic musical showcase.
James Blake has the latter down to a science.
Tuesday, December 03, 2013
|photo courtesy Andrew Whitton|
The aforementioned tour stops here in San Diego at the House of Blues on Wednesday December 11. Be sure to arrive early for Nashville's Kopecky Family Band. This is an all ages show, tickets can be purchased here.
Watch a video of Further Away (Romance Police) by Lissie below.
Watch a video of Sleepwalking by Lissie below.
Monday, December 02, 2013
Guitar virtuoso Kaki King headlines an intimate gig at the Casbah on Tuesday...Together Pangea and The So So Glos co-headline for a raucous show at Soda Bar...
On Wednesday Howie Day makes a rare SD appearance at The Griffin...alternative rockers Beware of Darkness roll into Soda Bar...
Austin's My Jerusalem return to Soda Bar on Thursday..Nashville's Will Hoge headlines Soda Bar...Pete Yorn's new project The Olms make a Casbah stop...
Newly formed local band Soft Lions (Boy King, The New Kinetics) debut on Friday at Soda Bar...Electronic band The New Division will be at The Loft...
On Saturday New York duo MS MR play their rescheduled show at Soda Bar...a limited number of tix will be available at the door (get there early)...
Escondido, a folk band from Nashville, make their SD debut at the Casbah on Sunday...underrated Canadian singer Hayden headlines Soda Bar...
91X is presenting two all ages holiday shows this week, both at the Valley View Casino Center...tickets are still available for Friday's show, info can be found here...
KPRI's Holiday Soiree is on Sunday at the California Center for the Arts in Escondido...tickets can be purchased here.
This represents a slice of the musical pie awaiting music fans of all ages in San Diego...be sure to act responsibly and attend a show (or two)...
Watch a video of Someone Else's Girl by The Olms below..
Watch a video of Cold October by Escondido below.
Monday, December 2, 2013:
- Anti-Monday League feat. Grizzly Business, Spero, Shane Hall & the Diabolicals @ Casbah
- Big Country Elephant, Boondock Brothers, Troup @ Soda Bar
- St Cloud Sleepers, The Flowerthief, The Dexter Riley Xperiment, Leanna May @ The Griffin
- The Tin Can Country Club feat. Fast Heart Mart @ Tin Can
- Monday Night Mass with Husky Boy All Stars @ Bar Pink
- Nightmares on Wax, Illuminauts @ Belly Up
- Wood Spider, Sledding With Tigers, more TBA @ Che Cafe
- Monday Night Madness @ House of Blues
- Industry Night @ FLUXX
- The Monday Night Spot feat Yodah & Joey Jimenez @ Henry's
- Dave Scott & Monsoon Jazz @ Croce's
- Robin Henkel @ Humphrey's Backstage Live
- Monday Night Madness @ House of Blues
- Open Mic hosted by Chad Taggert @ Lestat's
- Karaoke @ Til-Two Club
- Electric Waste Band @ Winston's
- Karaoke @ Coyote Bar & Grill
- WG & the G-Men @ Patrick's Gaslamp Pub
- Monday Night Jams @ 710 Beach Club
- Doug Allen @ The Kraken
Friday, November 29, 2013
Friday, November 29, 2013:
- Gone Baby Gone, The Filthy Violets, The Phantoms, The Frights @ Casbah
- Casbah Presents Polar Bear Club, Citizen, Diamond Youth, Sainthood Reps @ The Irenic
- Cantaloop Media Presents The Silent Comedy, Glasmus,Love & The Skull, Madame Ur y Sus Hombres @ Black Box (Tickets at the Door, or get info for special packages with transportation at TuristaLibre.com)
- The Donkeys @ Whistle Stop
- 91X Moustache Formal with DJ Robin Roth and more @ The Lafayette (6pm)
- Fever The Ghost, Golden Beaches, Island Boy, Tiger Milk Imports @ Soda Bar
- The Beautiful View, Okayokay!, One I Red @ Tower Bar
- Irish Christmas in America @ AMSD
- Benefit For The Phillipines: Never Pass Go, The Mice, Fourtracks, Batlords, Western Settings @ Til-Two Club
- Super Buffet @ Ken Club
- Badabing, Mittens, Death By Snoo Snoo @ Tin Can
- Hello Highway, Last Call Home, So Far Gone, The End Return, Calibrate Me @ House of Blues Fifth Avenue Side Stage
- Random Radio @ Bahia Belle
- Fam Royal @ Bar Pink
- A Groundation Thanksgiving with Paula Fuga, Mike Love @ Belly Up
- Crystal Bowersox, Seth Glier @ The Griffin
- Left For Dead @ Belly Up (5:30pm)
- Serve The People Emergency Relief Fundraiser @ World Beat Center
- The Devil Wears Prada, The Ghost Inside, Volumes, Texas In July @ Soma
- The Dan Band @ House of Blues
- The New Rich, The Harpers Live @ Artlab Studios
- Renown flugelhornist Dmitri Matheny returns with Phoenix pianist Nick Manson, Justin Grinnell bass, & Duncan Moore drums @ Dizzy's
- Danielle Slathas, 23 Shades, Tyler Boone @ Lestat's
- Michele Lundeen @ Humphrey's Backstage Lounge (5-7pm)
- Beta Maxx @ Humphrey's Backstage Lounge (9pm)
- Family Affair with DJs Artistic, Felt1, Mr. Hek @ El Camino
- Rising Star @ Tio Leo's
- OB Comedy with Kim Thompson and Duante Cordova @ Winston's (6-9pm)
- In Motion Collective, Sure Fire Soul Ensemble, DJ Question & Marcellus @ Winston's
- Gunner Gunner, Wilson Renette, Decompression @ The Shakedown
- Kirk Ward @ 710 Beach Club (5-8pm)
- High Noon, Saline Solutions, Tim & The 23s @ 710 Beach Club (9:30pm)
- Brent Curtis @ Marble Room
- Mother Mary Mood, Blood Dancer, Xolmani @ Brick By Brick
- The Beat Kitchen: Question, Charlie Rock, Freddie Joachim @ El Dorado
- Spectacular with DJ Scooter @ Fluxx
- Good Times with Rev & Yodah @ Henry's
Saturday, November 30, 2013:
- "You Play Me Yours, I'll Play You Mine: A Community Music Exchange" @ Digital Gym (2921 El Cajon Blvd, 2-4pm, More info & registration)
- Redd Kross, Octa#grape, Joel Jerome + Babies on Acid @ Casbah
- The Hollerin, Brothers Weiss, Leanna May and the Matadors, Love & The Skull @ Soda Bar
- Soda Bar & Invisible Children present Julianna Barwick, Mark McGuire (Emeralds) @ Luce Loft (1037 J St)
- Dave Buck presents A Night of Blues with Jimmy Ruelas, Gary Hankins, El Al @ Black Cat
- Diamonds In The Back with Dmitri & Co @ Whistle Stop
- Country Club with Grampa Drew & Matt Strachota @ Whistle Stop (5pm)
- Holiday Hangover feat. The Cured - The Cure tribute, Strangelove - Depeche Mode tribute, Really Idol - Billy Idol tribute, Fears for Tear - Tears for Fears tribute @ House of Blues
- 99th Floor, Schitzophonics, DJ Tony The Tiger @ Tower Bar
- The Nite Crawlers, nutstache, Masteria @ Ken Club
- A Groundation Thanksgiving with Paula Fuga, Mike Love @ Belly Up
- Funk 101 feat Stevie & The Hi-Stax, DJ Barry Thomas @ Bar Pink
- Modern Life is War, Somali Pirates, Suspect @ Che Cafe
- Viva Santana @ The Griffin
- Birdzilla, Ruben Lady, Sacri Monti @ Tin Can
- Art of Sound 4 Year Anniversary feat. DJ Harvey, Doc Martin, Paluka, Cris Herrera @ Spin
- Laura Leighe, Teresa Storch, The Santana Brothers @ Lestat's
- Judith Hill, Chyla @ House of Blues 5th Avenue Side Stage
- CD Release Event for “Conversations” from jazz guitar virtuoso Mark Augustin & transcendent vocalist Lisa Hightower @ Dizzy's
- The Reflectors @ Humphrey's Backstage Lounge (5-7pm)
- Detroit Underground @ Humphrey's Backstage Lounge (9pm)
- Full Strength Funk Band @ Tio Leo's
- The Earful, Delta Nove @ Winston's
- Middle Class Rejects @ The Shakedown
- Joe Cardillo, Dave Booda @ Marble Room
- Rock Star Saturdays with Yodah, DJ E @ Henry's
- Allison Chains, Black Sabbitch, Smack This @ Brick By Brick
- Boys & Girls vs Hickies feat. Adam Salter, Saul Q, Don't Go Jason Waterfalls @ El Dorado
- Spectacular with Sid Vicious @ Fluxx
- Danny & The Tramp, DJ Arox @ Gallagher's
- Devocean, Brothers Gow, Low Budget @ 710 Beach Club
- The Babys, The Roni Lee Group, Teaser, Burning Down @ Ramona Mainstage
- Karaoke @ Analog
- SoNo Park Holiday Fest & Chili Palooza @ 32nd & Thorn
- An Evening With Rufus Wainwright @ Belly Up
- Capsula, The Wooly Bandits, Zero Zero @ Casbah
- Neighbors To The North, Muscle Beech, Cut @ Soda Bar
- Poontang Clam, Batlords (Covering The Spits), DJ Matt Parker @ Til-Two Club
- City Mouse, Floor Notes @ Bar Pink
- Fat Tour 2013 feat. Less Than Jake, Anti-Flag, Masked Intruder, Get Dead @ House of Blues
- Almost Famous Karaoke @ Henry's
- Lust For Youth, Hive Mind, Sunwheel @ The Void
- CD Release Event for jazz bassist Justin Grinnell’s debut CD featuring Josh Nelson piano, Dan Schnelle drums, & Robby Marshall woodwinds @ Dizzy's
- Legacy Pack, Destructo Bunny, DJ Chelu @ Gallagher's
- Jose Sinatra Ob-O-Ke @ Winston's
- Robin Henkel @ Humphrey's Backstage Lounge (10am-2pm)
- Bayou Brothers @ Humphrey's Backstage Lounge (7pm)
- Football Bingo/Game Night @ 710 Beach Club
Tuesday, November 26, 2013
Tickets to Nightlands , StaG, and Jeans Wilder this Wednesday at Soda Bar can be purchased here.
Watch a video of I Fell in Love with a Feeling by Nightlands below.
Watch a video of To the Moon by Nightlands below.
Buy Your Passes Here
You can also buy Gift Vouchers and knock out your Christmas shopping in a few clicks!
So anyway, here's the deal. You buy annual membership, you get general admission to all of the following museums for 365 days from the date of purchase:
San Diego Museum of Man
The San Diego Museum of Art
the NAT (San Diego Natural History Museum)
Centro Cultural de la Raza
Japanese Friendship Garden
Mingei International Museum
Museum of Photographic Arts
Reuben H. Fleet Science Center
San Diego Air and Space Museum
San Diego Art Institute-Museum of the Living Artist
San Diego Automotive Museum
San Diego Hall of Champions Sports Museum
San Diego History Center
San Diego Model Railroad Museum
Timken Museum of Art
Veterans Museum and Memorial Center
World Beat Center
Adult $129 ~ ages 18 and up
Student $99 ~ valid for full time students with valid ID
Senior $99 ~ ages 65 and up with valid ID
Family $199 ~ Valid for up to 6 family members (up to two adults/up to four children ages 3-17. Additional children are $25 each)
And since I went into the Visitor's Center to purchase my pass today, I'll say that if you can wait the 5-7 days for your cards, just order online. If you want to go to museums immediately, go in the office, they'll have you purchase online at their old computers, and they'll give you printed booklets valid for one week with a single pass for each museum. The employees/docents/volunteers are extremely courteous, but the Explorer passes were just announced last week, so they're overwhelmed. If you can wait, just buy your own passes online.
The U-T apparently misprinted and said a family pass was up to 4 adults and 4 children. Not so. "Children" are ages 3-17, so your infants and toddlers are fine (though if they're turning three within a year, you'll want to get them their own cards). Adults are 18+. If your "child" is actually an adult, they might qualify for the student pass, or as your second adult, but otherwise will require a full adult pass for $129. In the short time I was in the office, you wouldn't believe how many people were already gaming the system. They don't question your "family" unit, but don't try and work them.
Lastly, many of the museums offer gift shop discounts and special mailers, events and newsletters to their members. The Explorer Card does NOT give any of the perks- no discounts, special exhibits, private event invites, guest passes, etc. If you have the dough, support your favorite museum or museums individually. This is for people who live on the cheap like me, and once you get over that initial purchase, you can be broke as a joke and still always have a place to go. I can't wait to take our first bike outing to museum hop with my little familial unit.
For more Balboa Park information, click here.
Here's the deal:
The Silent Comedy
Madame Ur y Sus Hombres
Love & The Skull
at Black Box (6th and Revolucion)
Tickets are 50 pesos at the door, ages 18+
For the Turista Libre package, you get
- transportation from border (with Derrick walking you across the border from McDonald's)
- drinks on the bus
- pre-show drink at Baja Craft Beers Tasting Room with the bands!
- entrance to the show
- return trip to U.S. border
Sunday, November 24, 2013
Friday, November 22, 2013
Thursday, November 21, 2013
In 2009 Miss Hill was chosen to be none other than Michael Jackson's duet partner for This Is It. His untimely death resulted in the cancellation of the tour, while Judith sang at the memorial service. The documentary 20 Feet From Stardom features a long list of performers including Judith. Her powerful voice is rooted in soul, r&b and pop, while the training and experience as a back up singer has readied her for the limelight.
Tickets to see Judith Hill at the House of Blues on November 30 can be purchased here. This is an all ages show.
Watch a video of Judith Hill performing #thatPower from The Voice.
Wednesday, November 20, 2013
Monday, November 18, 2013
|photo courtesy Ross William Hamilton|
If you have not seen John Vanderslice perform live, this Wednesday is your next opportunity. This is a Casbah Presents show at Soda Bar, tickets can be purchased in advance here. Boston's Bent Shapes set the stage.
Head to Soda Bar on Monday for L.A.'s Nightmare Air and their San Diego friends Bulletins...
If you didn't get a ticket to the sold out Chvrches show on Tuesday at the House of Blues, then consult the listings for a viable alternative...
Prolific indie performer/producer John Vanderslice descends into Soda Bar on Wednesday...Kate Nash plays at the all ages Porter's Pub...
On Thursday San Francisco synth pop band Geographer play an intimate show at the Casbah...
Seattle's singer/songwriter Noah Gundersen plays to the students at The Loft on Friday...highly recommended...Rick Froberg's Obits headline the Casbah...
The Limousines and Mona team up for a great bill on Saturday at the Casbah...Screaming Females and Upset will be at Soda Bar...
Night Beats (Seattle) close the weekend with their garage rock at the Casbah...
Those on the fence (or the couch) should find something of interest musically speaking in San Diego this week. Consult the listings for all the shows.
Watch a video of Love is a Dog From Hell by The Limousines below.
Watch a video of How The West Was Won by John Vanderslice below.
Saturday, November 16, 2013
|The Besnard Lakes|
See one of Canada's best kept secrets, The Besnard Lakes, at the Casbah this Sunday, November 17. Fellow Canadians Elephant Stone set the stage. Tickets can be purchased here.
Watch a video of Colour Yr Lights In by The Besnard Lakes below.
Friday, November 15, 2013
Led by Kelsey Wilson (vocals, violin) and Alexander Beggins (vocals, ukulele), starting as a duo has now blossomed into a full fledged folk band. There is a certain synergy one feels when listening to their songs, ideal for a breezy afternoon drive or while sipping some wine on the front (or back) porch. Their first album, Pillow Talk, was released in 2010. This is a young band singing about love, loss and the emotions that are best expressed in music. While there are a growing number of bands in this genre, Wild Child work well as a cohesive unit, feet planted on firm ground ready to take on each chapter in their musical adventures.
Be sure to arrive early for Olympia based band indie pop LAKE. Tickets to tonight's show can be purchased here.
Watch a video of Crazy Bird by Wild Child below.
Wednesday, November 13, 2013
Casbah Presents Minor Alps with opener Dan Wilson on Thursday November 14 at Soda Bar...Tickets can be purchased here.
Listen to Far From the Roses from Minor Alps below.
Monday, November 11, 2013
Thee Oh Sees return to their favorite haunt here, Bar Pink, for a great show on Tuesday...OBN IIIs open the evening...
Wednesday marks the return of the interestingly named band Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin, playing this time at Soda Bar...they recently released Fly By Wire, more indie pop goodness via Missouri...
On Thursday newly formed band Minor Alps, comprised of Matthew Caws (Nada Surf) and Juliana Hatfield (Blake Babies), hit Soda Bar for a Casbah Presents show...FMLYBND and Kiev will be at The Griffin...Melt Banana will be melting faces at the Casbah...
The weekend kicks off with Wild Child, a Minnesota band who just released a great self titled album, at Soda Bar...Nik Turner's version of Hawkwind headlines the Casbah...
Austin troubadour Slaid Cleaves returns to AMSD Concerts, i.e. that Normal Height church, for an acoustic show on Saturday...Autolux will be at the Casbah, Caspian and 65daysofstatic co-headline Soda Bar...
One of my favorite Canadian bands, The Besnard Lakes, stop at the Casbah for a great show this Sunday...Elephant Stone open...highly recommended...
A great week of live music is waiting for those wishing to enrich their lives...head out to a show (or two)...
Watch a video of I Don't Know What To Do With My Hands from Minor Alps below...
Watch a video of People of the Sticks by The Besnard Lakes below..
Sunday, November 10, 2013
The photos are from my mobile, but there's more after the jump.
Saturday, November 09, 2013
Thursday, November 07, 2013
Alialujah Choir, also from Portland, set the stage. Tickets for the show can be purchased here.
Listen to Ever Loved Once by Blitzen Trapper below. (courtesy SoundCloud)
Wednesday, November 06, 2013
Next Monday (November 11), the 2nd Annual RMF Benefit Concert is taking place in Rob's back yard, so to speak. The Belly Up Tavern is hosting the event, with performances by several world class musicians and other local talent. Topping the list is Jason Mraz, along with John Rzeznik from The Goo Goo Dolls, Run River North and Austin Burns. These artists will be performing acoustic sets to a sold out crowd.
This is certainly going to be a special evening with the proceeds benefiting some great causes. Those wishing to donate to the Rob Machado Foundation click here.
How’s your liver holding up? I know mine is starting to cry “Uncle” but there are still FIVE more glorious days of San Diego Beer Week to go! I’d have to say some of my highlights so far were the Victory at Sea event at Hamilton’s on Sunday, the 50+ IPAs at Toronado over the weekend and the opening night VIP Brewer’s Guild party was fantastic. I managed to hit most of the events I’d planned, and even a couple more that I hadn’t. So what’s good for the rest of the week? Read on after the jump for the things I’ll most be looking forward to. Cheers!
Wednesday November 6, 2013
Mo-stache for Mo-Beer at Belching Beaver Tasting Room (North Park) - This event, sponsored by the San Diego Beer Club meetup group, starts at 7PM in one of NP’s newest craft beer spots and will help raise awareness and money for “Movemeber.” Additionally, Belching Beaver will be offering $1 off pints and $2 off flights for this kickoff event.
ALL ABOUT BOOBS, SAUSAGES, AND BEER! at Acoustic Ales Tasting Room - Another SDBW charity event, this one is for the Boobies!! We all love boobies, so go show some support. The event will feature brats from Salt n’ Cleaver paired with Acoustic Ales in-house offerings.
Stone Brewing Co./Eclipse Chocolat Pairing at Small Bar - Get your sweet tooth on! Five rare Stone beers are paired with delicious truffles from Eclipse Chocolat. Five beer tasters and five truffles for just $20.
Thursday November 7, 2013
Societe Brewing Company Tap Takeover at Societe Brewing - The week long (and very tounge-in-cheek) tap “takeover” continues from my favorite new SD brewery. If you’ve never been to the tasting room, be sure to check it out. Great space, great staff and, of course, really great beers.
HAPPY HOUR W/ RIP CURRENT- SOCIETE - HESS at Hamilton’s Tavern - Three of the newest (and best) SD breweries on one night at the (arguably) greatest craft beer bar in town. Hard to argue with that one! There will be two different flights, one with IPAs and one with stouts and other additional beers available from each brewery as well. Pro Tip: Get both flights! Also, #teamApprentice.
Crooked Stave Brewery Night at Small Bar - Meet the brewer event from the great Crooked Stave out of Denver. Small Bar will have flights available, plus some bottles of the Beer Advocate “world class” rated L’Brett D’Or, a beer that has never been poured outside of the Stave’s tasting room. Whales bruh.
Friday November 8, 2013
Johnny Brown's IPA Night at Downtown Johnny Browns - while not quite as ambitious as some other IPA events, DTJB will still bring the goods with 21 taps of IPAs from Kern River, Pizza Port, Stone, Ballast Point, Green Flash, Port, Russian River, Bear Republic, Sierra Nevada and more.
NKOTB - Rip Current, Modern Times & Benchmark Keep The Pint! at Urge Gastropub - North County kids will want to check out this event, featuring these three rad breweries which have all debuted in the past year or so.
Tyson's Big Ass Barrel Aged Beer Blowout Bonanza! at O’Brien’s Pub - This is a SDBW stand by as OB’s and Tyson bring out all the barrel aged beers they’ve stashed away over the course of the past year to put them all back on at once. The list is HUGE and amazing, but highlights include brews from Firestone Walker, Drakes, Lost Abbey and more.
We Got The Funk! SOUR NIGHT! at Pizza Port Ocean Beach - If Barrel Aged beers aren’t your thing then go to the opposite extreme and get some delicious sours instead. A bunch of Russian River Sours among other breweries and, oh yeah...a little something called CANTILLION KRIEK! Get it.
Saturday November 9, 2013
Monkey Paw Tap Takeover at Amplified Ale Works- Head to PB for a full slate of great beers from Monkey Paw Pub & Brewery including the delicious, GABF Gold winner Bonobos.
Decadent Decade Of Stone Imperial Russian Stouts at Stone Brewing World Bistro & Gardens (Escondido) - another good event for the North County kids (or those ready to make the drive up north) as Stone puts on a full TEN years worth of their always great IRS.
Hops With The Homebrewer at Tiger!Tiger! - Meet George from The Homebrewer shop in North Park who will regale us with his seemingly endless knowledge of all things brewing, in this case those wonderful things called HOPS! Sure to be a very informative and fun event, even if you’re not a homebrewer. This is a ticketed event and it sold out so fast they added a second session. Act fast and get them here: http://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/510666
Sunday November 10, 2013
4th Annual Alpine (Up And) Downhill Challenge sponsored by Blind Lady Ale House - Not for the light-hearted, this ride from Blind Lady in Normal Heights all the way up the hill to Alpine for flights of Alpine beers and a pizza buffet and then a ride all the way back to BLAH. Wowzers! This ticketed event also includes a commemorative t-shirt. Tix here: http://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/508306
"Beer Garden" at The Lodge at Torrey Pines - ** UPDATE SOLD OUT!! ** This is the official closing event for San Diego Beer week, featuring beer and food pairings from 12 great local chefs and 24 local breweries. Tickets here: http://arestravel.com/6367_attraction-tickets_a1363.html
Thanks to sdbwplanner.com for all the links and their easy to use planning site!