I guess I haven't been writing much, so apologies for that made me go overboard with a super long header in the last listings. I'm gonna start working on this week's listings while I watch the Real Housewives of New York, since I didn't really know they've pretty much aired the whole season with the new cast. I guess I traded in Housewives for zoo animals, which are way better, but I can't have that all the time. Since the last one was long, this one will be short. I've been doing the usual, though I worked at Quartyard for Cheekface last week and I really dug their lyrical style, and Sunday I spent 12 hours at San Diego Zoo Safari Park, because I went up early with Darren and we ended up staying to do a cart safari and then spent nearly an hour with the platypus, whose enclosure lights turn on at 6pm. A pretty magical day. The highlight, of course, was seeing the Sumatran Tiger Cubs, who made their public debut over the weekend. A friend and I were tipped off that they'd be out around 10am, so we did Darren's early tram then staked our spots and had a sweet time just watching them play.
Note, I had a lot of problems trying to upload photos, so I was finally able to do it from my phone, but I'll add more if/when the issue with Blogger resolves.
Stay safe out there. Lots of kids hacking at the zoo makes me think a COVID surge is coming with Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's Eve right around the corner.
- It’s time to get your COVID shot, CDC director says. Like, now - LA Times (10.11.23)
- Excessive drinking during the pandemic increased rates of liver disease, transplants. Transplant centers are reporting a rise in patients in need of new livers. - ABC News (10.8.23)
- Public Health Offers Reliable Information about Safety, Effectiveness of Updated COVID-19 Vaccine - County of LA Public Health (10.12.23)
- You Should be Flu Free - County News Center (10.16.23)
- California Oil Companies Face Tougher Enforcement Under New Law. The measure steps up potential fines and allows criminal charges against companies that harm health, safety and the environment. - ProPublica/The Desert Sun
- Fossil Fuel Subsidies on the Rise - Statista (10.11.23)
- EIA projections indicate global energy consumption increases through 2050, outpacing efficiency gains and driving continued emissions growth - US EIA (10.11.23)
- California Coastal Commission green lights Oceanside seawall repair with conditions - kpbs (10.16.23)
- 48 Ballot Drop Boxes Open for Nov. 7 Special Election - County News Center (10.10.23)
- California's big city mayors applaud Newsom for signing conservatorship bill -CIty News Service/kpbs (10.10.23)
- We Don’t Talk About Leonard: The Man Behind the Right’s Supreme Court Supermajority. The inside story of how Leonard Leo built a machine that remade the American legal system — and what he plans to do next. - Propublica (10.11.23)
- Federal court enforces US Department of Labor subpoena seeking documents to investigate Starbucks Corp.’s response to worker organizing campaigns - US Department of Labor News Release (10.6.23)
- San Diego Zoo Wildlife Alliance joins global effort to preserve species diversity - kpbs (10.11.23)
- What You Should Do If You See a Coyote in Your Neighborhood - County News Center (10.18.23)
- Other Reading:
- California Ranks Among the Top 10 States with Bullying Problems – WalletHub Study
- California Is 2023’s 7th Most Energy-Efficient State – WalletHub Study
- U.S. Homicide Rate Comes Down From Pandemic Peak - Statista