|Alba the Andean Bear Mama (Taken 12.5.24)
Last diary, I posted Loretta the bonobo, who was turning 50. This week I heard it was Alba's birthday, so I thought I'd share a pic even though I usually capture them with my phone, watching her 1-year-old cubs and their silly antics. So yeah. Not the best shot ever, but it's what I could find.
This has been a really good week. I'm on my fourth night at the Casbah for Three Mile Pilot, and got to work both Pinback shows and Rocket From The Crypt, too. I'll be slinging for Lucy's Fur Coat and both nights of the Bronx, and then we'll see how much inventory I have and if it is worth it for me to sell Casbah stuff at both Earthless nights.
My Darren is out of town at the moment; he went to visit his family up north and as much as I wanted to go, I couldn't pull away from work or leave the kid home alone for that long of a stretch. I'll be so glad when he's home again.
Besides that, things are pretty good, I've gotten my mornings in with my apes and monkeys and have timed it, so I get a brief disco nap each night before work. It's been really great to see so many familiar faces and the different crowds that each headliner brings. Tonight is much louder than it has been, a bit of that Friday night relief that comes after a week of work.
Obviously, the week started of with the storm deluge. I was a little oblivious, to be honest. I had to wear my knee-high rainboots to cross my own street, but besides that, I still went to the zoo when the rain slowed down a bit, so it wasn't until I was home that night watching the news that I saw all the destruction around San Diego. I've included a bunch of articles and resources, and San Diego Magazine compiled a list of places to donate, which is also linked below. Help out if you can. I think I'll finally clean out my shoes and get those down to Ringer's Roller Rink for people who might need something as simple and obvious as shoes.
Stay safe out there. I love you all.
- STORM OF THE CENTURY:
- Update: Flood emergency response - San Diego Humane Society (1.27.24)
- Chairwoman Nora Vargas Announces County Qualifies for State Flood Relief Funds - County News Center (1.27.24)
- Household Hazardous Waste Pickup to Start in Flood-damaged Unincorporated Area - County News Center
- Another Storm on the Way: Where to Get Sandbags - County News Center (1.25.24)
- County, San Diego Foundation Launch Flood Response Fund - County News Center (1.25.24)
- BEFORE YOU DONATE, know that this is a fund that will be allocated to non-profit organizations. This is not a direct-aid program to people who suffered damages from flooding.
- NEEDED: New or very gently used blankets, shoes and socks - Drop off at Ringer's Roller Rink
- 20+ Fundraisers Supporting Community Flood Relief in San Diego. Here’s how you can help after Monday's catastrophic storms across the county - San Diego Magazine (1.24.24)
- Free Vehicle Removal and Recycling Available for Unincorporated Area Residents Impacted by Storm - County News Center (1.26.24)
- County Public Works to Expand Flood Debris Recovery Program - County News Center (1.26. 24)
- County to Open Local Assistance Center for Flood Victims - County News Center (1.25.24)
- Top Ten Tips for People Affected by Winter Storms Provided by the California Department of Insurance - Dr Weber Newsletter (1.24.24)
- County Board Ratifies Emergency Proclamation - County News Center (1.24.24 )
- County Storm Recovery Update - County News Center (1.25.24)
- San Diego’s Chollas Creek overwhelmed by recent storm - kpbs (1.23.24)
- San Diegans cry, hug outside damaged homes after stunning flash floods in normally balmy city - AP/kpbs (1.24.24)
- Will disastrous flooding force San Diego to finally fix its storm drains? - kpbs (1.25.24)
- Monday's floods devastated San Diego business owners - kpbs (1.25.24)
- COVID variant JN.1 is not more severe, early CDC data suggests - CBS News (1.23.24)
- Wastewater tests show COVID infections surging, but pandemic fatigue limits precautions. COVID-19 continues to take thousands of lives a month. - Stateline (1.23.24)
- Robust GDP Growth Adds to Hopes of a Soft Landing - Statista (1.25.24)
- MTS report: Fletcher 'not involved' in firing of harassment accuser - City News Service/kpbs (1.25.24)
- San Diego posts demolition notice for damaged Ocean Beach Pier - City News Service/kpbs (1.24.24)
- Other Reading:
- It's That Time of Year Again! Donate to the San Diego Humane Society Virtual Wildlife Baby Shower!!
- US COVID-19 Stats
- CDC Data Tracker: New Weekly Updates on Fall and Winter Virus Season