Sunday, July 24, 2022

COVID-19: Biden Has COVID-19 | Missing Comic-Con | Baby Orangutan Kaja |

36 year old Indah (b. 6.23.86) with baby Kaja (b. 1.4.22)
You can see the two in their public orangutan habitat at the San Diego Zoo from opening until around 10:30am each day.  (Photo taken 7.24.22)

My preview day of Comic-Con didn't happen. I had worked all night to get my listings up for the week and updating my Comic-Con page, that by the time I was done, I didn't want to steal the final hour of Darren's sleep before his long day of 100 degree temps at San Diego Zoo Safari Park, so I continued working while watching old seasons of Bergen on Netflix, which a friend recommended while I was sick with COVID-19. 

I was feeling a little funny all week. I know I tested negative and life is back to normal, but that means allergies, misery when it's hot, being tired after working late nights, still having to help move my dad to his medical bed several nights a week, wh8ich means long late night drives to Chula Vista and back. Every day I psyched myself up, then made excuses to myself for not going to Comic-Con when if I had just been honest with myself-- after having COVID I don't want it again, I don't feel comfortable in massive gatherings, I don't want to be indoors with others-- I could've just enjoyed the weekend a little more fully and without guilt. It proved true after Darren and I attempted to go the Observatory on Thursday night for Purity Ring, but left after I was done shooting. If we couldn't handle a 1,000 person venue at a not even sold out show, how was I supposed to tolerate the Convention Center? Or even navigating the crowded streets outside? I don't imagine my life will always be this way, but for now, this is where I am and I just need to be honest about that and to be okay with that. It doesn't mean I'm not sad for missing it. It doesn't mean I didn't enjoy all the pictures and posts on social media. I just couldn't pull it off myself. 

Besides Purity Ring, I did (of course) go to the zoo more than a few times, even going in the morning then going back in the evening on the same day, attempted to drive downtown for Comic-Con but got cold feet and ended up only shopping at the Grocery Outlet down there, helped my dad a few nights, drove around with Nova and Darren through downtown just to see the Comic-Con action on Saturday night, and went to the Safari Park. It was a full weekend, not the least of which because for the first time ever in all my years of having a zoo pass, I woke up early enough for the early hour open to members only. That was a whole thing, but maybe I'll talk about it another time. For now, last week's updates to explain why everyone you know is sick. 

Stay safe out there. 

No comments: