|Bat Eared Fox Winter and 2 of her 3 kits, as taken through a fence and a plant (6.27.23)|
We're about to move into 4th of July weekend so I'm gonna unleash the stuff I've been reading over the past couple weeks. Nothing super exciting but I need to work on listings and get these drafts out of my queue or I get anxiety and can't do anything. Indecision paralysis, I think it's called.
Anyway, it's been a pretty good couple of weeks. I'm still waiting for my new transmission but my van seems to be holding up in the meantime. I know I'm always back and forth on whether or not to renew my Sea World pass but right now is their best offer of the year for Silver and Gold passes, even if they took away the up-front parking, so if it's something you're thinking about, I would go for it. I think there are probably better times to buy the Fun Pass, like "Blue Friday" (their version of Black Friday) because you get the rest of the current year and the full next year, but I might have to bite the bullet and get it for Nova anyway because a few of her friends have passes and we're always to keep her occupied for summer while keeping on a budget.
Besides all that, I hung out with my mom at the Safari Park on Tuesday and am happy to report she's doing as well as can be expected after losing my dad, who was in her 24 hour around the clock care for a very long time. She's doing stuff, making friends in her neighborhood, hanging out with us kids and her grandkids, has become a doggy day care for my sisters' dogs, is gardening and doing things she'd never been able to do because she could never leave my dad for any amount of time, even just to hang out in the backyard. So I'm proud of her and will keep on bugging her to hang out.
I hope everyone has a super great week. Off to start my listings. Ugh. But at least I have a couple Law Nerd broadcasts that will occupy the space to get me through them.
- Updated COVID-19 Vaccines for Use in the United States Beginning in Fall 2023 - FDA (6.16.23)
- Pfizer, Moderna and Novavax gear up for fall Covid vaccine rollout with an important head start - CNBC (6.20.23)
- Long COVID link to mental health conditions prompts federal advisory - LA Times/Stars & Stripes (6.23.23)
- CDC tracking new COVID variant EU.1.1 - CBS News (6.26.23)
- LOCAL NEWS & POLITICS:
- County Adopts New $8.17 Billion Budget - County News Center (6.27.23)
- Report: Impact of tourism in San Diego totaled $22.7B in 2022 - KPBS/City News Service (6.22.23)
- Large Venues Are Keeping the Show on the Road. The pandemic disrupted the live music landscape, but newer large venues are filling in gaps. - Voice of San Diego (6.19.23)
- Live Music Industry to Return From Covid Slump in 2023 - Statista (6.23.23)
- California’s Homelessness Crisis Is Homegrown, Study Finds - KFF Health News (6.20.23)
- NATIONAL NEWS & POLITICS:
- US murder rate declines dramatically in 2023 — but you probably haven't heard about it - Popular.info (6.20.23)
- DeSantis Claims Florida’s Crime is at a ‘Record Low.’ But He’s Using Incomplete Data. In announcing his presidential bid, Florida’s governor relied on data from only half of the state’s law enforcement agencies. - The Marshall Projet (6.20.23)
- Justice Samuel Alito Took Luxury Fishing Vacation With GOP Billionaire Who Later Had Cases Before the Court - ProPublica (6.20.23)
- The GOP Tried to Intimidate DOJ Into Doing Nothing About Jan. 6, and it Worked. So of course, they’re trying it again. - Vice (6.23.23)
- INTERNATIONAL NEWS & POLITICS:
- Global Congress opens to counter harmful marketing of formula milk - WHO (6.20.23)
- U.S. Loses Ground in World Competitiveness Ranking - Statista (6.20.23)
- Moving Backwards on the Long Road to Gender Equality - Statista (6.21.23)
- OTHER READING:
- FDA Issues First Draft Guidance on Clinical Trials with Psychedelic Drugs - FDA (6.23.23)
- A Grid Collapse Would Make a Heat Wave Far Deadlier. Climate change is making summers hotter, blackouts more common, and heat-related illness more dangerous. The power system may be resilient—but it still has vulnerabilities. - Wired (6.27.23)