I'm going to keep it short tonight. Nova starts school on Monday and is quite excited about it. TBH, I can't imagine what the kids and teachers are going through with all the moving parts of distance learning but she's a pretty responsible and self-reliant kid (though she's still a teenager, which means every little task takes four times as long as it should) so I think she'll be just fine.
I mostly avoided the news because we spent the afternoon at San Diego Zoo Safari Park, but I did see Twitter going nuts about protests. There's definitely a sector of society that feels emboldened and the flag-waving trucks are just driving through protests, driving down the freeways with their racist symbols on full display, so I guess all I can say is that if you choose to protest or march, be on guard for these vigilantes and know that they're not afraid of confrontation or outright violence, and we know that policing is not equal for all people, so just be super careful out there.
The other news I followed up on was Mayor Faulconer's tweets from Friday complaining about the new tiered system of reopening. Several people have said it came as a surprise, Dr. Wooten said they didn't have input, and businesses are complaining that there wasn't enough notice. This strikes me as funny for several reasons because the governor had repeatedly said new sector guidance was coming on Friday, Dr. Wooten had previously said all county health officers had been giving input to the state, which indicates they were aware new guidances would be statewide, and since the beginning of the pandemic, business owners have been told to be ready for anything, that they should be prepared increased safety measure requirements like we've been seeing in the news around the world and across the country for literally months now. Faulconer seems to be talking a big game to gear up for his eventual run for governor and to be honest, it comes off as whiny, petty, and ill-informed.
Not a lot of reading today, but stats and some Safari Park photos are after the jump.
- California COVID-19 Stats:
- 6,070 New Cases/699,909 Total Cases (0.9% increase)
- 71 New Deaths/12,905 Total Deaths (0.6% increase)
- 5.5% 14-day test positivity rate
- San Diego County Stats
- State Data:
- 263 New Cases/38,049 Total Cases
- 3 Deaths (Last 14 Days)/679 Total Deaths
- 5.8 cases/100k population
- 3.7% Test Positivity (Last 14 Days)
- County Data:
- 253 New Cases/38,300 Total Cases
- 3 New Daily Deaths/682 Total Deaths
- 79.4 cases (78.6 State Reporting)/100k population
- 5% Daily Test Positivity/3.7% Test Positivity (14-day average)
- Case Investigation is 96%
- 2 New/19 Community Outbreaks (7-day)
- California is about to send out $300 weekly unemployment bonus payments — and it'll include payments going back to August 1 - Business Insider (8.28.2020)