|La Jolla Cove Sea Lion (Taken 8.28.2020)|
I woke up in such a good mood today and I pretty much spent the whole day on my balcony with weather that finally felt like San Diego again. I even found myself at one point tonight turning off all the fans which have been on nonstop for several weeks because I actually felt cold, something I can't say I've experienced in months. I potted some new plants I bought and now I want to get a dozen more. While I was laying on my bench, a hummingbird stopped by and fluttered next to me for what seemed like an entire minute, so close to me that I could have touched it. Besides that, not much to report today. I'm really enjoying the Hoopla app and watched a documentary called A Small Act, about a man from Kenya who went to Harvard and works for the UN who attributes his success to a woman from Sweden who sponsored his secondary education through a scholarship fund. He tracked her down in the early oughts and started his own foundation in her name that sponsors students each year. It's pretty amazing. His cousin is also featured and followed much of the same path who now works in refugee relief. She said something that really struck me.
"One of the reasons why I'm so attracted to education is because I always see the ignorance or the lack of education that keeps so many people in poverty in my village. I also see that--very much-- in the conflict situations where I've worked, that when people are ignorant, that when people have little education, they're so gullible it's so easy for a politician to just come and mislead them and they take up arms, either on the basis of belonging to a different ethnic group or religious group or even on the basis of gender."
It really resonated after this week's shootings in Kenosha. You can watch the movie for free on YouTube. Today's stats are after the jump.
- California COVID-19 Stats:
- 4,981 New Cases/693,839 Total Cases (.7% increase)
- 144 New Deaths/12,834 Total Deaths (1.1% increase)
- 5.6% 14-day test positivity rate
- San Diego County Stats
- State Data:
- 285 New Cases (Last 14 Days)/37,786 Total Cases
- 3 Deaths (Last 14 Days)/676 Total Deaths
- 5.7 cases/100k population
- 3.7% Test Positivity (Last 14 Days)
- County Data:
- 263 New Cases/38,047 Total Cases
- 6 New Daily Deaths/679 Total Deaths
- 80.3 cases (78.5 State Reporting)/100k population
- 4% Daily Test Positivity/3.8% Test Positivity (14-day average)
- Case Investigation is 96%
- 6 New/20 Community Outbreaks (7-day)
- Testing Needed to Find Kids ‘Silently Shedding’: About 70% of children at risk had symptoms that didn’t get picked up. - Bloomberg Prognosis (8.28.2020)
- Polling Place Site Managers Needed for Nov. 3 General Election - County News Center (8.28.2020)
The Registrar of Voters is seeking temporary full-time site managers to operate assigned polling places for the Nov. 3 General Election. Site managers can earn $20 per hour.
- Mayor Faulconer Announces Midway/Sports Arena Redevelopment Plan Winner: Forty-eight acres of land, including the sports arena, still faces major political hurdles - NBC San Diego (8.29.2020)
- State Parks Provides Update on Structures Destroyed at Big Basin Redwoods State Park - California State Park (8.28.2020)
Post a Comment