|Thanksgiving Was Small This Year (Taken 11.25.21)|
While we were home preparing deviled eggs and enchiladas to eventually head to my parents' house to hang with my sister and nieces, apparently Nova was spending her Thanksgiving in a church hall with the Republican side of her extended family and now I'm completely pissed that we apparently weren't explicit enough about who and where she was allowed to go while on her trip. It's so frustrating spending nearly two years being so careful and then know that people are on the other side of the country not giving one shit about anybody else. Thankfully she's fully vaccinated so her risk is low, but I didn't want her getting on that plane in the first place and we'll definitely be a lot more discerning if they try to have her back. Obviously we'll be home-testing her upon return and get her back into regular testing at school on Tuesday, too.
Our Thanksgiving was nice and chill except when I got home and realized I still had listings and a newsletter to do. But I got them done and was going to stay offline today but some work things came up and the new Omicron variant of concern was all over the news, so I couldn't not post even if there's no data. And I'll say this about the newly identified variant: we need to stop treating South Africa like shit and trust their science and scientists. We need to stop looking down on other countries when they have better sequencing and surveillance than we do. We need to demand that the CDC get their shit together and get their numbers up to date, their data more transparent, and increasing multi-fold on sequencing. Otherwise, we're just at the mercy of our own most misinformed and in denial and this cycle will just continue on and on. After hearing that news and seeing images of the Comic-Con lines (Chris Morrow, YouTube), all I can say is that I made the right choice for me and my family, but I'm sure it was a blast for those who can be a little more relaxed.
I will say that Darren and I visited the hospital today, though we told my Dad we likely won't visit next week until we give Nova a good week of observation and such. They had to fix some equipment in the room, so we made my mom take a little break and she took us to this nice little garden they have at the VA hospital around the HVAC gear on the 2nd floor. After the visit, we went to San Diego Zoo Safari Park for Wild Holidays. I love Christmas lights but I was a little bummed that they close up several of the areas of the park, including the elephants and Kilima Point. We were able to do the Lagoon Walk before they closed that down, and were going to leave by 6 but discovered Tiger Trail and Australian Outback were still open, so we did that walk, but seeing any actual animals were few and far between. Still, a nice and chill night out. The kid is back tomorrow, so I'll probably take the rest of the weekend off and be back on Monday.
Stay diligent and safe out there.
- Classification of Omicron (B.1.1.529): SARS-CoV-2 Variant of Concern - WHO (11.26.21)
- New COVID Variant Sparks U.S. Travel Ban for Southern Africa— Characterized as "red flag," but questions remain about immune escape, transmissibility - MedPage Today (11.26.21)
- Heavily mutated coronavirus variant puts scientists on alert. Researchers are racing to determine whether a fast-spreading variant in South Africa poses a threat to COVID vaccines’ effectiveness. - nature (11.25.21)
- CDC Statement on B.1.1.529 (Omicron variant)
- New COVID variant threat causes worldwide scramble - AP News (11.26.21)
- FDA: Merck COVID pill effective, experts will review safety - AP News (11.26.21)
- IN PHOTOS: Comic-Con cosplayers back in-person - kpbs (11.26.21)
- Comic-Con Brings Back the Characters and the Spenders. Small business owners have come to rely on the Comic-Con's Black Friday effect - NBC San Diego (11.26.21)
- White House
- Remarks by President Biden in Press Gaggle
- A Proclamation on Suspension of Entry as Immigrants and Nonimmigrants of Certain Additional Persons Who Pose a Risk of Transmitting Coronavirus Disease 2019
- Statement by President Joe Biden on the Omicron COVID-19 Variant
- Statement by NSC Spokesperson Emily Horne on National Security Advisor Jake Sullivan’s Call with Head of Presidential Office Andriy Yermak of Ukraine
- Dept of Interior
- Interior Department Report Finds Significant Shortcomings in Oil and Gas Leasing Programs. Review Identifies Reforms to Ensure Fair Return to Taxpayers
- State Dept
- Global COVID-19 Stats (JHU 11.26.21 10:22pm):
- 260,679,733 Known Cases/14,190,513 28-Day New Cases
- 5,189,515 Known Deaths/198,774 28-Day New Deaths
- US COVID-19 Stats
- CDC COVID-19 Vaccination Data Tracker
- American Academy of Pediatrics Children and COVID-19 Dashboard
- 48,177,910 Cases/2,233,410 28 Day New Cases
- 776,349 Deaths/29,912 28-Day New Deaths