|Today's Mood. (Taken at San Diego Zoo 2.10.2020)|
One of the many businesses that shut down over the pandemic is a pet store in Kensington called Buddies & Babes. The groomer there was so patient with Ficus who will nip our hands if we ever tried to clip her nails--not enough to hurt us but enough to let us know she won't tolerate it. I had been trying to track her down and managed to find her business card, and after looking her up on Facebook, found out that she's opening her own spot in City Heights. Her storefront is still being built out, but she's in the same lot as 7-11 across from Til-Two Club at 4745 El Cajon Blvd. She's super awesome and Ficus finally isn't slipping all over the kitchen or snagging on the carpet. You can book her here.
- California COVID-19 Stats:
- 2,981 New Cases/901,010 Total Cases (0.3% increase)
- 12 New Deaths/17,357 Total Deaths (0.1% increase)
- 2.8% 14-day test positivity rate
- San Diego County Stats
- State Data:
- 269 New Cases/54,599 Total Cases
- 2 Deaths/870 Total Deaths
- 7.8 cases/100k population (Based on week ending 10/10, Assessed on 10/20. Unadjusted Case Rate Using Linear Adjustment)
- 3.3% Test Positivity (Based on week ending 10/10, Assessed on 10/20)
- 5.5% Health Equity Positivity (Based on week ending 10/10, Assessed on 10/20)
- County Data:
- San Diego County COVID-19 Update – 10-26-2020 - County News Center
- 358 New Cases/54,941 Total Cases
- 0 New Daily Deaths/870 Total Deaths
- 5% Daily Test Positivity/3.1% (7-day avg after 7-day lag)/2.8% Test Positivity (14-day average)
- 7.0 cases/100k population (Based on week ending 10/10, Assessed on 10/20. County is reporting unadjusted case rate per 100,000 excluding prisons.
- Case Investigation is 96%
- 1 New/27 Community Outbreaks (7-day)
- 1 new outbreak in Youth Sports
- Debunking the False Claim That COVID Death Counts Are Inflated - Scientific American (10.20.2020)
- For a long time during the pandemic, I'd only ever seen New York Governor Cuomo's angry clips on the news, but in reality, his press conferences are very interesting and very informative. Today he spoke about how several states are actually reducing testing and it is unbelievable. If you're interested, you can watch today's briefing here. Some interesting notes:
- Mississippi has 100% positivity (meaning they're only testing once people have obvious symptoms.) California is 41st in positivity. New York is 49th in positivity.
- NY is partnering with The RealReal to release designer masks with profits going to COVID related charities
- Launching #MaskUp Challenge on Instagram. Take a selfie with your mask, tag 5 friends.
- US health official says pandemic clearly can be controlled - AP (10.26.2020)
- News/Other Reading:
- Let's be really clear about something. Amy Coney Barrett may be confirmed to the seat left vacant by the death of Ruth Bader Ginsburg, but she is certainly not "replacing" her and news media should be more careful about the words that are coming out of their mouths because words matter.
- Governor Newsom Files Historic Amicus Brief in Death Penalty Case, Arguing for Greater Protections Against Racial Bias in Jury Proceedings - Governor Newsom Newsroom (10.26.2020)
- People v. McDaniel - JUSTIA US Law
- Keep It Up San Diego – Vote Safer, Vote Early - County News Center (10.26.2020)
Ballots received by the Registrar’s office throughout this week should be processed in time for the first release of Election Night results that are posted shortly after 8 p.m. The sooner you return your mail ballot, the sooner Registrar’s staff can process it into the count.
I see Jared Kushner is letting his Klan flag fly today. Institutional power hinders the Black community not will power. We can't just will our way into being born to a billionaire like you were Jared. Everything you got is from nepotism not from merit and you still ain't shit! https://t.co/9ImopMGJcT pic.twitter.com/xs8o7gPdbR— BlackWomenViews Media (@blackwomenviews) October 26, 2020