|Fiesta Island Leash-Free Dog Park is fully reopened (Taken 8.24.2019)|
About half an hour ago, Nova asked me if we were doing anything today. Darren is sleeping after playing music in the studio all night but I think maybe I owe it to her to go do something fun and before the weather gets unbearable this weekend. I don't really have much to say today that I haven't been saying every day so I'm gonna go offline and try and have a day with the kid. News after the jump.
Thanks to Mario Escovedo for distilling today's local COVID information:
- California Governor Newsom Media Briefing
- Fire Season
- We're in peak fire season
- California has new helicopters that can operate at night
- Expect changes in evacuation procedures in light of COVID-19
- 7031 new cases since yesterday; 8034 new cases 7-day average
- 73 deaths/day average; 149 deaths reported yesterday (delayed reporting)
- Hospitalization up .4%; ICU down .1% since yesterday, but up 34% 14-day
- 2400 cases out of 140k prisoners
- Schools will only open when it's safe to do so
- California Teachers Association penned a letter to Newsom about reopening, namely that schools are not ready to reopen
- San Diego News Of Interest:
- New hours to begin at Cabrillo National Monument in July- San Diego Community News
- July- Fri/Sat/Sun Hours 9am-8pm; Tidepools close at 7:30pm
- Mon-Thurs- Regular Hours 9am-5pm; Tidepools close at 4:30pm
- North Park shop Flight of Fancy was burglarized and their entire inventory of jewelry was stolen. Keep an eye out on those reseller sites!
- Kava Lounge has announces permanent closure.
"Thank you everyone that made Kava Lounge what it was for the last 16 years, it really was something special. It was a pleasure to serve the San Diego underground. Unfortunately, with the circumstances, we are closing permanently. May the memory and music live on in all our hearts. -Scott"
- Hiking, Exploring, Learning, Fun; Lots of Free Stuff to do in July! - County News Center
- Fiesta Island Opened to Cars on Monday July 6th - FIDO Newsletter
- Del Mar Fairgrounds to host July 11 drive-in concert with Rebecca Jade, Steve Oliver, Kyle Eastwood - Pacific San Diego
- Other Covid-19:
- Is SARS-CoV-2 airborne? Questions abound—but here’s what we know - ARS Technica (7.9.2020)
- Top Pediatrician Says States Shouldn't Force Schools To Reopen If Virus Is Surging - NPR (7.8.2020)
- Larry Brilliant on How Well We Are Fighting Covid-19: Three months ago, the epidemiologist weighed in on what we must do to defeat this new threat. We went back to ask: How are we doing, and what comes next? - Wired (7.9.2020)
We have learned a tremendous amount about this virus, about how it infects people, how it kills, how it spreads, but the big surprise to me is the kind of pan-organ nature of its attack. It gives the lie to anybody who thought that a comparison with influenza was in the ballpark.