I have had quite a lovely weekend. On Friday we did La Jolla Cove as planned, Saturday we lounged around and Darren grilled some grub, then we went to the San Diego Zoo for the final two hours they were open. My downstairs neighbors moved out, so last night I took full advantage and got to long ignored cleaning and organizing. It's much easier when everyone else is asleep and it's not 85 degrees in the house. Darren had crashed super early, so he ended up waking up around 3 am and we hung out in the speakeasy until well into morning which was super fun. Today was my catch up on sleep day, but my cousin came down from LA to stay with my parents, so we went down for a visit, too. I find it frustrating that my own family isn't distancing and masking, but they seem to all believe that they've been quarantining and thus have no chance of exposure. We kept our masks on and kept our distance anyway, but I'm certain that I'm not alone in this frustration. There were 1030 new cases reported between Friday and Sunday which is astonishing because all the County test sites were closed on Saturday.
I'll hit you with the cuteness before the bad news...
- Cases jumped from 8905 on Friday to 9572 on Sunday among 20-49 year olds
- San Diego has reported 16,796 cases as of Sunday
- 1030 new cases from Friday to Sunday - This is a huge increase being that there were no county test sites open on Saturday. By the time Monday's number are reported, 1500 will sadly be an underestimation
- KPBS Reported that "on Friday, the California Office of Emergency Services asked city managers of SanDiego, Imperial Beach, Coronado, Del Mar, Solana Beach, Encinitas, Carlsbad and Oceanside to close their beach parking lots."
- San Diego Music Awards are streaming online on Monday. I'm presenting the Best World Music Album Award. The awards were controversial for nominating As I Lay Dying for Song of the Year and over the weekend, it was brought to my attention that a person associated with the marketing of the event was called out for anti-BLM rhetoric. I participated in presenting because I love and support local music, but just to be clear here, I do not agree with the Academy's decision to include AILD and I think the San Diego Music Foundation should immediately sever ties with anyone making racist and racially insensitive comments.
You can tune in online to watch the awards here at 7pm.