|Nova and Ficus at Fiesta Island Dog Park (Taken 7.14.2020)|
It was quite a newsy day, so if you only pay attention to one thing, it should be my Governor Newsom giving an impassioned speech about the State of California appealing the decision that came down last week where an activist judge said the state's 32 year ban on AR-15s was unconstitutional. I've embedded the video below and while the Governor is not perfect and has had some serious missteps, this is why I've been a fan since I first met him while he was campaigning for Lieutenant Governor and why I'll continue to fight the stupid recall.
In other stuff, COVID-19 is still out there but *surprise* cases and hospitalizations and deaths continue to nosedive among vaccinated populations while cases and outbreaks are still high and dangerous among the unvaxxed. There was some attempt by Cal/OSHA to clarify last night's late repeal of changes to mask guidance, but it didn't actually clarify anything so all you need to know is that if you're vaccinated, you pretty much don't have to wear a mask as a patron of most businesses, but you still gotta mask up for pretty much all work regardless of vax status or what specifically you do for work.
We went to the San Diego Zoo today and I was having massive baby fever with the babirusa piglets getting so big, the tapir baby was taking a nap, Amahle the hippo said hi in her way, the red river hog had some sweet little piggies, the swamp monkey baby is super quick and never sits still, and the takin baby is adventuring out on her own by climbing the rock walls of her enclosure. Maybe I'll share pics later but I'm' having a problem with my SD card formatting to write-protected that won't let me turn it off. It's very annoying and I can't figure it out.
Besides all that, a really amazing thing happened today when the California Coastal Commission approved Option B for the Fiesta Island Dog Park!! This means they won't be building a road extension through it and they won't be building boat storage facilities on it. This is super great news and I can't wait to get in the water again, especially next week when we're supposed to have a record-breaking heat wave.
Stay safe out there.
- Starting June 15 in California, Fully Vaccinated people no longer need to wear masks except in the following settings: public transit, indoors at K-12 schools, childcare settings, healthcare settings, corrections facilities & detention centers, homeless shelters, emergency shelters, cooling centers. This guidance is for patrons and does not, based on Cal/OSHA guidance, apply to employees and workers.
- On the Record with Dr. Erica Pan: Protecting Our Kids with COVID-19 Vaccines - Office of Governor Gavin Newsom (6.9.21)
- G-7 nations expected to pledge 1B vaccine doses for world - AP News (6.10.21)
- Johnson & Johnson COVID Vaccines Get An Extra 6 Weeks of Shelf Life - npr/AP (6.10.21)
- Decreases in COVID-19 Cases, Emergency Department Visits, Hospital Admissions, and Deaths Among Older Adults Following the Introduction of COVID-19 Vaccine — United States, September 6, 2020–May 1, 2021 - CDC MMWR (6.11.21)
- More transmissible, wilier variant makes Covid-19 vaccinations even more crucial, experts say - STAT News (6.10.21)
- Bipartisan group of U.S. senators says it has a deal on infrastructure framework - Reuters (6.10.21)
- White House:
- FACT SHEET: President Biden Announces Historic Vaccine Donation: Half a Billion Pfizer Vaccines to the World’s Lowest-Income Nations
- Background Press Call by Senior Administration Officials on the President’s Historic COVID-19 Vaccine Announcement
- Remarks by President Biden on the COVID-19 Vaccination Program and the Effort to Defeat COVID-19 Globally
- Remarks by President Biden and Prime Minister Boris Johnson of the United Kingdom Before Bilateral Meeting
- Background Press Call by Senior Administration Officials Previewing the President’s Bilateral Meeting with the Right Honorable Boris Johnson, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
- Joint Statement on the Visit to the United Kingdom of the Honorable Joseph R. Biden, Jr., President of the United States of America at the Invitation of the Rt. Hon. Boris Johnson, M.P., the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
- The New Atlantic Charter
- Statement from Brian Deese on Unemployment Insurance Claims
- Announcing New Assistance to Respond to Humanitarian Challenges in Central America
- Boil Water Notice Issued for Encanto, Possibly Until Sunday. The city said it could take three days before it's safe to consume tap water in the neighborhood - NBC San Diego (6.10.21)
- Attorney General Bonta and Governor Newsom Announce Appeal of Decision to Overturn California’s Three-Decade-Old Assault Weapons Ban
- San Diego to Expand Safe Place Program to Businesses Serving Asian Americans. The Safe Place Program is an initiative intended to help San Diegans clearly identify businesses that are safe places for victims of a hate crime - NBC San Diego/City News Service (6.10.21)
- FIDO WINS with pivotal California Coastal Commission decision!! - FIDO Facebook Page:
There were 43 public speakers.
Four spoke only to environmental and didn’t address A or B.
Thirteen speakers supported Option A, some of them eloquently.
The rest (25) were Team FIDO!
The Item was called at 9:24am and the motions to adopt as amended with Option B passed at 1:33pm
SO CLOSE! The amendment to adopt B over A only won by a 6-5 vote.
The final vote do adopt as amended with Option and other changes to the Northern Area and week control was: 7-3 and not without it’s drama. Initially the vote was called at 6-3 because one of the Commissioners had left. But he was still available and they him back to make the 7th vote to complete the Item and We Win!
And the official FIDO announcement here. California Coastal Commission's site hasn't yet been updated.
- Global COVID-19 Stats (JHU 6.10.21 8:23):
- 174,771,133 Known Cases
- 3,769,494 Known Deaths
- US COVID-19 Stats
- CDC COVID-19 Vaccination Data Tracker
- 33,428,412 Cases
- 598,744 Deaths
- CDC Data Tracker:
- +14,283 New Cases/33,246,578 Known Cases
- +398 New Deaths/596,059 Known Deaths
- 372,830,865 Doses Delivered
- 305,687,618 Doses Administered
- 172,423,605 Partially Vaccinated
- 141,583,252 Fully Vaccinated
- California COVID-19 Stats:
- State of California Safe Schools For All Hub
- Vaccination progress dashboard
- R-effective: 0.74
- 47,014,660 Doses Delivered/39,140,150 Doses Administered
- 3,881,948 Partially Vaccinated/18,431,265 Fully Vaccinated
- 856 New Cases/3,693,362 Total Cases (1.8 new cases/100k)
- 39 New Deaths/62,538 Total Deaths (0.04 new deaths/100k)
- 0.8% 7-day test positivity rate
- 1,279 COVID-19 Hospitalizations (-25 patients, -1.9% from prior day)
- 261 COVID-19 ICU hospitalized in CA (-9 patients, -3.3% from prior day)
- 2,262 ICU beds available (-128 from prior day)
- San Diego County
- Free Testing Sites and Schedule in San Diego
- Vaccination Dashboard
- San Diego County Of Education School Reopening Dashboard
- Evening COVID-19 Vaccination Clinics Coming to North, East, South County
- State Data:
- R-effective: 0.88
- 62 New Cases/280,941 Total Cases
- 1 Deaths/3,765 Total Deaths
- 1.9 cases/100k population (Assessed on 6/8. Unadjusted Case Rate)
- 1.1% Test Positivity (Assessed on 6/8)
- 1.3% Health Equity Positivity (Assessed on 6/8)
- 87 COVID-19 hospitalized patients (-6 patients, -6.5% from prior day)
- 21 COVID-19 ICU hospitalized patients (-8 patients, -27.6% from prior day)
- 256 ICU beds available (-14 from prior day)
- County Data:
- San Diego County COVID-19 Update – 6-10-2021 - County News Center
- 111 New Cases/281,051 Total Cases
- 1 New Daily Deaths/3,766 Total Deaths
- 4,217,565 Doses Received/3,841,731 Doses Administered
- 2,091,665 Partially Vaccinated/1,715.603 Fully Vaccinated (61.2% of 12+ population)
- +16,636 Newly Fully Vaccinated Since Yesterday
- 1.0% Daily Test Positivity/1.0% (7-day avg after 7-day lag)/0.8% Test Positivity (14-day average)
- 1.2 cases/100k population (Assessed on 6/8. Adjusted case rate per 100,000 excluding prisons.)
- 99.0% Case Investigation
- -4.0% Day Over Day COVID-19 Hospitalizations (70 patients. -47% over 30 days)
- 35% ICU Capacity (18 patients. -56% over 30 days)
- 51 Staffed ICU Beds Available
- 0 New/4 Community Outbreaks (7-day)