SXSW 2012 is now accepting band submissions. You have to go through SonicBids and pay $30 but you never know...it could be worth a shot. To be honest, the majority of bands attending SXSW and playing shows in Austin are not considered "official" showcasing bands. I think in the last few years, no more than 5 or 6 local artists have been selected...that doesn't mean you don't have a chance. Make sure you have a QUALITY EPK. I can tell you from our Adams Avenue submissions that the volume gets lost, so make sure your songs sound good and clear through a regular computer speaker. Have a friend or 12 look over your materials before you send anything.
Blitzen Trapper and Dawes have announced a co-headlining tour this fall. They'll be at the Belly Up on October 9 and no doubt this show will sell out. Get presale tickets from each band's respective sites starting at 10am on August 5. Additionally, Blitzen Trapper will be releasing their new record, American Goldwing, on September 13, but you can pre-order now.
The San Diego Music Awards are almost here! Next Monday, August 8, the SDMAs take over Humphrey's Concerts By The Bay. If you've never been before, you're in for a great time with a who's who in the local music scene. Reserved tables are $500, but there are limited GA tickets available for $30. The event has consistently sold out over the years, so get your tickets now.
Over the past year, I've become more involved in San Diego music than ever before. Here are a few updates on some bands I've been working with this year:
- Jesse LaMonaca and the Dime Novels are currently in the process of recording their second album at Lost Ark Studio. Jesse & James recently performed at Alex's Lemonade Stand and the full band will be performing tomorrow afternoon at the Handlery Hotel Pool from 5-8 and opening for The Horde and the Harem tomorrow night at the Soda Bar. Jesse LaMOnaca and The Dime Novels are nominated for Best Americana for this year's SDMAs.
- Josh Damigo just kicked off a Kickstarter campaign to raise money for his sophomore record. He was last year's Best Acoustic winner at the SDMA's and though he has been doing well for himself in LA and just did his first southwest tour, he might be coming back for an opportunity too good to pass up. Help him get that record going!
- Michael McGraw has wowed me onstage since we met earlier this summer. He played my showcase at Eleven and recently opened for Jeremy Messersmith at Soda Bar and he's a prolific songwriter so I can't wait for him to keep busting out new music. This month, however, he's taking a little break to get married this weekend and head out on a beautiful Hawaiian honeymoon. Congrats to Michael & Jen! Looking forward to booking him for some more shows upon his return.
- The Heavy Guilt recently celebrated the release of their 2nd album, In The Blood, to a crowd of over 400 people at Device Gallery in Barrio Logan. They've also played a couple of out of town shows and will certainly be playing around the region in upcoming months. Good luck to them on their SDMA nomination for Best Alternative Album.
- August 4- Colin Clyne @ West Coast Tavern
- August 13- Dynamite Walls, Jesse LaMonaca and the Dime Novels, The Morgansterns @ The Ken Club
- August 23- FMera, The Short Eyes (need one more) @ Casbah
- September 10- San Diego Music Thing Showcase: Ume, Jesse LaMonaca and the Dime Novels, My Jerusalem, The Heavy Guilt, Strange Vine @ Soda Bar
- September 29- SoundDiego Live/Birthday Show (Lineup TBD) @ Casbah
- October 17- Dos Hermanos @ Bar Pink