|Taken at San Diego Zoo Safari Park 11.10.2020|
I don't know why I'm still working on this post at nearly 11pm. San Diego didn't even bother posting the updated data for the day. I'm starting fights on social media even when I don't even realize that I'm starting them. I'm cursing at my TV screen. My feeds are going crazy with misinformation from conspiracy theorists and dum dums. It's just one of those frustrating days, probably because people are responding to our move to the purple tier and impending closures and blaming all the wrong things and all the wrong people. Like, I know it sucks your restaurant has to close again, but you following 'safety protocols' doesn't negate the fact that this virus is widespread in the community and is spread through droplets and aerosolization, which doesn't care about your plexiglass.
We didn't really take advantage of the day off today, opting to mostly stay home to avoid crowds, though we did go for a long walk with Ficus to CVS to get a new heating pad for Strawberry so she'll stop trying to kick Kiwi off of hers. Our house is hot af in the summer but cold af in the winter, so we have to kind of spoil the children.
Hopefully we'll get out of the house some more this week, but until then, I hope everyone is hanging in there.
- California COVID-19 Stats:
- 7,464 New Cases/984,682 Total Cases (0.8% increase)
- 69 New Deaths/18,070 Total Deaths (0.4% increase)
- 3.8% 14-day test positivity rate
- San Diego County Stats
- State Data:
- 513 New Cases/61,085 Total Cases
- 7 Deaths/915 Total Deaths
- 10 cases/100k population (Based on week ending 10/31, Assessed on 11/10. Unadjusted Case Rate Using Linear Adjustment)
- 2.6% Test Positivity (Based on week ending 10/31, Assessed on 11/10)
- 6.5% Health Equity Positivity (Based on week ending 10/10, Assessed on 10/27)
- Widespread Public Support For Future U.S. Lockdowns - Statista (11.11.2020)
- Covid in the U.S.: Latest Map and Case Count - The New York Times (11.11.2020)
- TOTAL REPORTED ON NOV. 10 14-DAY CHANGE
- Cases 10.4 million 139,855 +69%
- Deaths 241,460 1,448 +23%
- US Hits Record COVID-19 Hospitalizations Amid Virus Surge - AP/KPBS 11.11.2020
- Why do COVID death rates seem to be falling? Hard-won experience, changing demographics and reduced strain on hospitals are all possibilities — but no one knows how long the change will last. - Nature (11.11.2020)
- Scientific Brief: Community Use of Cloth Masks to Control the Spread of SARS-CoV-2 - US CDC (11.10.2020)
- Yesterday the CDC updated its mask guidance, saying that wearing one protects both you and the people around you. Masks block particles you exhale from spreading to others and help filter the air you’re breathing in, the new guidelines explain. It also says that wearing masks can be an economic boon, citing an analysis that found that increasing universal mask wearing by 15 percent could prevent national losses of up to $1 trillion. - Wired
- Thinking About a Holiday Gathering? Look at This Troubling Map First. An alarming visualization shows the odds that at least one Covid-positive person attends a given event. It should give us all pause about family plans. - Wired (11.11.2020)
- Other News/Reading:
- San Diego Air & Space Museum will defy state orders and remain open - KUSI (11.10.2020)
This pisses me off to no end. Fuck this guy and fuck the shitty museum he runs. The City should start charging them rent, of which they pay $0. It made me so mad that I sent an email to Mayor Faulconer, Councilperson Chris Ward, Supervisor Fletcher, and the County Safety Compliance Team. Here's what a wrote with a link to the story and the lease payment document.
Yesterday a local news channel reported that the San Diego Air & Space Museum will be defying the State and County health orders to close. Perhaps it would be a good time to remind CEO Jim Kidrick that he runs a public institution for which they pay $0 in annual rent to the City in the People's Park. It is despicable behavior, it's a poorly run museum, and it is time for him not only to go, but it is time that the City reminds him who he works for and force his compliance.
But then David Lundin posted this on my Facebook, so I guess we're all good.
A release at 6 PM 11 November from financed representative of the Air and Space Museum:"After carefully considering reopening options provided by the State of California, the San Diego Air & Space Museum is closing on schedule beginning this Saturday, November 14th, 2020. We continue to highlight our internal/daily COVID-19 health safety protocols as the gold standard, in conformance with the CDC, the State of California and San Diego County. Accordingly, our staff looks forward to reopening at the soonest opportunity and is continuing efforts to work with the County and State to use valid science doing so. The plan must always be to create safe reopening options as soon as possible.The recent dialogue associated with safe reopening is critical to our community businesses. And, doing it right is vital to our success as a nation. We must identify, and correct those areas of concern and reopen those organizations we highlight through science and data as not contributing to COVID-19 spread. The credibility of safely reopening is an unwritten mandate.
We also look forward to continued County efforts on our behalf, and on behalf of every business and citizen hurt by this pandemic. We’re in it together and embrace absolute safety when it comes to staff and guests, just as we always have."
- Only 27 Cases of the Flu have been reported in San Diego County