If current US trends hold (1200 deaths/day and increasing), by inauguration day (66 days away) we could see 330-350k total deaths or more in the US (we passed 250k known deaths this weekend.) 75,000 more people could die between now and January 20 because the current administration chooses to do nothing. Today I have some articles on how COVID-19 is being dealt with in other parts of the world, so maybe you can take it as a warning or plan for the reality and not the bullshit of herd immunity eugenics this admin is leaving us with until January. Meanwhile, San Diego hit a 9% daily testing positivity on Saturday with 1,087 new cases recorded, our highest single day number since the pandemic began.
I kinda skipped Sunday altogether. I was up all night reading news, doom scrolling, and I'm currently reading Love Warrior by Glennon Doyle Melton after I saw her on an episode of WWHL on Bravo. I finally fell asleep long after the sun was up and slept in the quiet of my room while Darren and Nova watched TV, took the dog for a walk, watched football and hung around the house. When I did finally awake after lots of deep and intricate dreams, we were all inspired by Diwali this weekend and made our best attempts at Indian cooking. Nova has been making this garlicky onion and turmeric rice, we have some packaged chana masala and madras lentils, and I've been experimenting with something that lands between Boston Market's creamed spinach and Indian saag paneer, but I used Mexican panela. It was delicious and I'll keep working on it because I miss Indian food the most during this pandemic. We did takeout one time but it was so expensive and we had a crazy long wait and it soured us on the whole experience.
Besides all that, we've been watching lots of streaming. Last night we watched a movie called Spell which takes place in Iceland, which kind of aligned with Undone, which we'd watched just last week, in that it questions 'shaman' and 'superstitions' and 'magic' with mental illness. We are also in the middle of watching a Finnish opera about COVID which I've linked below.
I'm gonna cut because it's time for the nightly ritual: Nova comes out after brushing her teeth and says, "Good night dad, good night Rosey. I love you," and Ficus gets up and runs to her room to reserve her spot on the bed. It has become a nightly highlight because sometimes Fi doesn't even wait for the announcement anymore. In these times, it's the little things.
- California COVID-19 Stats:
- 10,968 New Cases/1,019,345 Total Cases (1.1% increase)
- 35 New Deaths/18,253 Total Deaths (0.2% increase)
- 4.4% 14-day test positivity rate
- San Diego County Stats
- State Data:
- 737 New Cases/63,715 Total Cases
- 5 Deaths/926 Total Deaths
- 10 cases/100k population (Based on week ending 10/31, Assessed on 11/10. Unadjusted Case Rate Using Linear Adjustment)
- 2.6% Test Positivity (Based on week ending 10/31, Assessed on 11/10)
- 6.5% Health Equity Positivity (Based on week ending 10/10, Assessed on 10/27)
- County Data:
- 1,087 New Cases/12,349 Total Cases
- 0 New Daily Deaths/926 Total Deaths
- 9% Daily Test Positivity/4.7% (7-day avg after 7-day lag)/4.2% Test Positivity (14-day average)
- 8.9 cases/100k population (Based on week ending 10/31, Assessed on 11/10. County is reporting unadjusted case rate per 100,000 excluding prisons.
- Case Investigation is 94%
- 8 New/45 Community Outbreaks (7-day)
- CDC Daily Trends
- See Coronavirus Restrictions and Mask Mandates for All 50 States - The New York Times (Updated 11.13.2020)
- We Finally Have a COVID Strategy. The Biden-Harris plan is vastly better than Trump’s “you’re on your own” approach—but it’s not perfect - Scientific-American (11.11.2020)
- That Pre-Thanksgiving Covid Test Won't Really Keep You Safe - Wired (11.15.2020)
- Germans should brace for 4-5 months of severe COVID-19 measures, minister says - Reuters (11.15.2020)
- Asia Today: India reports 41,100 new coronavirus cases - AP News (11.15.2020)
- Fauci Says Some People Will Start Getting Pfizer’s COVID Vaccine Next Month We need to hang in there a bit longer, Dr. Fauci said, because "help is on the way." - Vice (11.13.2020)
- I don't know how Darren found this but it is the Finnish National Opera performing a farsical take on Mozart's Cosi Fan Tutte written for our pandemic times called COVID FAN TUTTE (Link to Youtube) and it is a good laugh at these insane times.
- China has zeroed in on frozen food imports as it tries to keep a lid on Covid-19 - South China Morning Post (11.14.2020)
- The WHO and public health experts say the risk of becoming infected by touching food packaging is low
- But Beijing wants cold-chain shipments disinfected and has imposed import bans on firms whose products have tested positive
- Biden voters to MAGA: Time to drink your own tears. No, Biden voters do not owe Trump supporters any compassion. Here’s why. - Fast Company (11.10.2020)
- I’m Not Yet Ready to Abandon the Possibility of America. I wrote my book for young people—as an invitation to bring about, through hard work, determination, and a big dose of imagination, an America that finally aligns with all that is best in us. - Barack Obama, The Atlantic (11.12.2020)