|Cheetah at San Diego Zoo Safari Park (Taken 11.10.2020)|
I try not to yell at my TV when I'm watching the news, but the on-the-street reporters sure do have a penchant for finding the dumbest people to interview, particularly when they are trying to find people who are defiant themselves and therefore support businesses being defiant of the state and county health orders. I guess it's because those of us following the guidance are home, where we're supposed to be. San Diego's case numbers are getting so high that I think the county is amplifying testing just to try to get us a lower adjustment rate so it doesn't look as bad as it actually is.
Another story that has been annoying the shit out of me is the Elon Musk tweet. If you haven't heard, he took 4 rapid tests, 2 were positive, 2 were negative. The stupid news channels keep reporting this story without mentioning that these were antigen tests, which are known to be not completely accurate, especially with a low viral load. When you do test positive on those, then you take a PCR (polymerase chain reaction) test, which is what all of our statistics are based upon and are more acutely accurate. Bloomberg was the only news I found who actually pointed this out.
Otherwise, we've obviously been sticking around the homefront. It was a nice afternoon to just hang in the backyard, throw around the football, rake some leaves, enjoy the sunshine. Last night Nova and I watched Jingle Jangle on Netflix and I honestly believe it will long be considered a classic movie, I hope it sweeps the movie awards, and it may just have dethroned Elf as my favorite Christmas movie of all time. It's that good and everyone should do themselves a favor and watch it. It's lighthearted, the music and choreography is great, and as Nova said, it's not too Christmassy and not religious. I'm trying to make Darren watch it, but he's a grinch and doesn't really watch Christmas movies at all.
Anyhow, king tides happen in the morning if you can make it out to the coast to watch. I'm gonna try but wouldn't count on my ability to wake up before noon.
- California COVID-19 Stats:
- 9,875 New Cases/1,008,377 Total Cases (1% increase)
- 81 New Deaths/18,218 Total Deaths (0.4% increase)
- 4.2% 14-day test positivity rate
- San Diego County Stats
- State Data:
- 642 New Cases/62,971 Total Cases
- 2 Deaths/921 Total Deaths
- 10 cases/100k population (Based on week ending 10/31, Assessed on 11/10. Unadjusted Case Rate Using Linear Adjustment)
- 2.6% Test Positivity (Based on week ending 10/31, Assessed on 11/10)
- 6.5% Health Equity Positivity (Based on week ending 10/10, Assessed on 10/27)
- County Data:
- 736 New Cases/63,681 Total Cases
- 5 New Daily Deaths/926 Total Deaths
- 4% Daily Test Positivity/4.6% (7-day avg after 7-day lag)/3.8% Test Positivity (14-day average)
- 8.9 cases/100k population (Based on week ending 10/31, Assessed on 11/10. County is reporting unadjusted case rate per 100,000 excluding prisons.
- Case Investigation is 94%
- 2 New/44 Community Outbreaks (7-day)
- Other News/Reading:
- 'We are so proud': San Francisco Bay Area celebrates Kamala Harris, hometown hero - The Guardian (11.13.2020)
- Letter to all GA counties: Save and Secure ballot images for recount - Citizens' Oversight (11.13.2020)
- Federal judge says new DACA rules are invalid - CNN (11.14.2020)