|Gonna go emulate this napping foosa at San Diego Zoo on 2.3.2020|
- This estimate suggests that models show that San Diego's Stay-At-Home and other measures prevented 145,202 hospitalizations and 15,217 deaths in San Diego.
- New Estimates Show Stay-At-Home Orders Prevented 2.1 Million Hospitalizations and Over 200,000 Deaths in 30 Major U.S. Cities - Big Cities Health Coalition
- Not to be negative nancy all the time, but this is a pretty good summary of Governor Newsom's Monday comments. This is from the Johns Hopkins University Center For Health Security Newsletter (5.19.2020), which points out that we're not beating the spread of the coronavirus, we're merely moving the goalposts to containment over suppression.
- "Many US states are beginning to relax social distancing measures in an attempt to return to modified forms of business. California Governor Gavin Newsom announced an update to California’s plan that could potentially allow counties to move more quickly in their efforts to relax social distancing. Perhaps the most substantial change lies in updated epidemiological criteria for moving into State 2. Previously, counties were required to report “no more than 1 COVID-19 case per 10,000” population over the previous 2 weeks and no COVID-19 deaths over that same period. The updated requirements shift away from COVID-19 incidence and focus more on the impacts to healthcare systems. The new criteria require counties to have “stable/decreasing” COVID-19 hospitalizations—ie, less than a 5% daily increase—or no more than 20 total hospitalized COVID-19 patients over the previous 2 weeks. Additionally, counties must report fewer than 25 new cases per 100,000 population over a 2-week period or testing positivity below 8% over 1 week."
- I first thought this article was people getting scammed for their benefits, but in reality it's a ring of criminals getting benefits by scamming the states. Still a massive problem, though what I wanted to suggest is watching your mail and deliveries. People are stealing EDD cards.
- The Nigerian Fraudsters Ripping Off the Unemployment System - Wired (5.19.2020)
- EDD whistleblower warns of identity theft concern - ABC10 (5.15.2020)