|Bun Bun lives under our studio and occupies our yard at night. We leave her carrots daily.|
I'm a little embarrassed to admit that I took cinco-de-drinko to all new heights yesterday, but obviously not too embarrassed to share that here. I had a fun chat with Matt from The Bronx/Mariachi El Bronx for a story I was supposed to write last night (before the sauv blanc really hit.) I'm working outside today and it's nice we have a partially shaded backyard because otherwise it is hot af. I just want to go snorkeling at La Jolla Cove, but like the old days, when we could go on a weekday afternoon and it would mostly be empty. I haven't even done a driveby since March so I have no idea what it's like these days. I wish that seal cam was still working. Apparently the red tide is dying, too, so if you didn't catch the bioluminescence at night, tonight might be your last chance to do so...I recommend Law Street (park on Mission Blvd and walk) or Windansea. Steer clear of Sunset Cliffs and OB. I'm slowly working through email today and have yet to watch any daily briefings, but I think I might just skip them today since Thursday is supposed to be the big news day. My 15 year old backyard furniture is falling apart beyond repair, so I hope Ikea can reopen and sell me a cheap replacement set, although if my pay isn't secure past July and my job won't come back for months, is it a justifiable expense? I have this depression-era image in my brain of people boiling leather shoes for soup stock and it terrifies me daily.
Newsy stuff after the jump.
- Uber and Lyft have been big in the news lately. Darren is a driver but before that, he was a taxi driver before the apps put him, and most cabs, out of business. He's still waiting to hear about PUA funds like nearly half a million other Californians, but it was clear during his call from EDD that they were specifically building a case against the ride-hailing companies. Fingers crossed the PUA comes through because if we're self-quarantining for weeks (besides essential trips, FWIW) you can be damn sure no stranger is getting into our family car. So here is the latest, as well as an oldie but goodie article about Uber and Lyft.
- Uber and Lyft face landmark lawsuit over gig worker classification - NBC (5.6.2020)
- Uber And Lyft Don't Have A Right To Exist - Jalopnik (8.30.2019)
- Uber, Lyft Sued by California in Major Gig-Economy Crackdown - Bloo
- Beautiful by night but the red tide is stinking things up in San Diego. My pal and editor wrote this one yesterday.
- What Is That Terrible Smell? Red tide at night is causing those bioluminescent blue waves. It's also the cause of that horrible odor - NBC San Diego (5.5.2020)
- Here are my SoundDiego articles: