|Me, Jake Najor and Tim Fears at the Office (Taken 1.28.2020)|
A new phase of reopenings happened over the past few weeks, and with them new records being set on new Covid-19 cases, hospitalizations, and deaths for the state. I'm seeing places I love reopen, like the Ken Club and The Office and Space and it's so hard not to just find myself wandering out any random night to catch up with my friends.
But I can't do it. I've barely seen my parents for 3 months. I've seen my sister and nieces a few times, but mostly in drivebys, and our one camping trip where we did our best to mask up and socially distance. I'm not throwing that time home away so I can go be careless to have some drinks at a bar or dinner at a restaurant. I miss my friends, I really do. I even got a new interim camera which I can't wait to adjust to and practice with, but I'll save it for the outdoor things. I'm just not ready to sit in any room breathing in the same recirculated air for any prolonged amount of time just because I want this to be over.
I was feeling pretty nostalgic, however, so I thought I'd so another local venue roundup. After the jump.
- Soda Bar's Got New Merch!
- From Soda Bar (6.22.2020): Hello! Bars are starting to reopen around town but we are still closed for the time being; mainly because we're a music venue and live events are not deemed safe just yet. In the meantime, please remember to wear a mask and socially distance while you're out & about.
If you'd like to support us during this time, please visit our merch store - sodabar.bigcartel.com - new products including bandanas, tote bags and dad hats are available now!
20% of merch proceeds for the next two weeks will be donated to two great, local organizations: San Diegans for Justice & San Diego Black LGBTQ Coalition. San Diegans for Justice have worked hard and succeeded in getting a much needed measure on the November ballot to establish an independent commission that will hold SDPD accountable. The SD Black LGBTQ Coalition provides safe community spaces, connection and support for San Diego's Black LGBTQ community.
- Bar Pink's got some Livestreams coming up. Pick up some of their to-go cocktails and tune in online!
- Will Lerner from The Pour House shared some redecorating news with a target August reopening:
- Casbah's new merch is selling amazingly, but you can still get your orders in at CasbahMerch.com.
- At the beginning of the pandemic, I made great effort to move all of my posts and communications here on my site and post as minimally as I could on Facebook. Now things are getting really bad in the land of Facebooklandia and several companies are renewing the call to cancel advertising on Facebook from now through July. To be honest, I wish there were better outlets with better reach and that I never had to spend mine or anybody's money on ads again. But let's just see how this goes.
Hit Pause on Hate
We are asking all businesses to stand in solidarity with our most deeply held American values of freedom, equality and justice and not advertise on Facebook's services in July.
- Switchfoot BRO-AM is ON(line) -- GRAMMY-winning rock band, Switchfoot will host their 16th annual San Diego BRO-AM Events (www.broam.org) as a live stream concert this Saturday.
The live stream will take place on Saturday, June 27th at 5pm PST.
- The event lineup includes:
- Switchfoot performing live together here in their hometown of San Diego
- Other artists performing from their home towns: NEEDTOBREATHE, Judah and the Lion, Colony House, and The New Respects
- Live commentary from Drew Shirley (Guitarist from Switchfoot), Chris Cote (World Surf League) and Rob Machado (Professional Surfer)
- To date BRO-AM events have raised over 2 Million dollars for San Diego youth programs. To keep the annual BRO-AM Community Giving Movement going, 2020 event proceeds are supporting National and San Diego youth initiatives with Feeding America, A Step Beyond, Challenged Athletes Foundation, Feeding San Diego, Monarch Schools, and Save the Music.
- Live Stream tickets are for sale on Switchfoot.com for $10.99. The band is fundraising before and during the show.