|Chris Carrabba of Dashboard Confessional at Observatory North Park (Taken 2.12.2020)|
After my camping outing, we got home, unpacked, organized, ate food, and then I slept more than 12 hours, falling asleep around 7pm. So there you go, the way to solve insomnia is camping and drinking and staying up late, then uncomfortably sleeping in a tent for two nights. When I woke up around 7 this morning, I perused social media and saw the days trends...that life in San Diego is 'back to normal'--with equal amounts of people celebrating getting out while the rest were dismayed at the lack of courtesy and following the rules of wearing facial coverings and physical distancing.
I also have to admit that I'm kinda loving the other trending gossip news like the firing of Stassi and Kristen (and Brett and Max) from Vanderpump Rules and the backlash on that nobody NASCAR truck driver who is quitting because of the ban on the confederate flag. But that's neither here nor there. So like I said, we'll be staying put this weekend. I'm loaded up on e-books and audiobooks, we've got a slew of things to watch on our streaming queues, and we've got some housekeeping to do, so our time will be well occupied. At home.
Still, some weekend reading for you after the jump.
- I want to express my deep sadness and condolences to friends, family, and bandmates of Nina Leilani Deering who died this week in a fatal car wreck. She was in Orchid X Mantis, Baby Bushka, and a co-founder of the Voices of Our City Choir and definitely left a permanent mark on music in San Diego.
- COVID-19 is still very much a concern. Stop acting like it's over.
- The Virus Will Win - The Atlantic (6.12.2020)
- The Country Is Reopening. I’m Still on Lockdown - Wired (6.12.2020)
- How Risky It Is to Eat at a Restaurant, Go to the Beach, and More Right Now - Self (6.11.2020)
- I have seen dozens (hundreds?) of posts and comments demanding that Dr. Wilma Wooten, our County Health Officer, rescind the public health order to wear face coverings in San Diego County when you're out in public or within 6 feet of non-household members. Some people are calling on her to be fired. Some dum-dum posted some nonsense about "checks and balances" and that she doesn't have the authority to make such requirements (she does). But you don't get it both ways...we either reopen industries with the face covering/distance/hygiene/screenings in place, or everything gets shut down again. Just buy some goddamn masks and shut up about it.
- Face Masks Considerably Reduce COVID-19 Cases in Germany: A Synthetic Control Method Approach
- Social Distancing Is Not Enough - The Atlantic (5.22.2020)
- Face masks don’t even have to work especially well to be effective - ARS Technica (6.12.2020)
- Best way to reduce coronavirus transmission is by wearing a face mask, study finds - CNN Health (6.12.2020)
- Face masks critical in preventing spread of COVID-19 - Medical XPress (6.12.2020)
- County Opens Cool Zones (Starting Monday) to Help San Diegans Beat the Heat - County News Center (6.12.2020)
- In 2017, I had the opportunity to interview Chris Carraba of Dashboard Confessional which aired on SoundDiego. Until that interview, I'd never really felt quite so connected to someone I interviewed, but his very presence was disarming and he's obviously a seasoned professional, far more experienced than most of the nerdy fans interviewing them. That interview also renewed my enjoyment of the band and I haven't missed any of their local shows since. So I was especially concerned when I heard that Carrabba was in a serious motorcycle crash. Sending healing vibes Chris' way. (Photos from Dashboard Confessional Twitter)