I'm not exactly the vision of health and wellness, but like everyone, I'd become accustomed to my healthy habits however few and far between they may be--walking around the San Diego Zoo and Safari Park multiple times a week, going to see the seals and sea lions at regularly at La Jolla Cove and Children's Pool, taking the dog to Fiesta Island Dog Park, biking around Balboa Park, random hikes or walks around trails of San Diego.
But as that's all over for the foreseeable future, I've been keeping a small list of health and wellness links that come my way. And I'll be honest, a lot of the tips are obvious and also sometimes seem impossible (get enough sleep, limit your screen time, go for a walk) but some are doable and so you can click through the links and see if anything helps you. I specifically am not linking any paid yoga or exercise apps, but there are a million of those out there, too, if you really want them. These are far more general links.
Check it after the jump.
|(art from Planned Parenthood Pacific Southwest)|
How to Stay Happy(ish) During COVID-19 - Planned Parenthood
14 Apps and Tools to Stave Off Cabin Fever - Wired
A Guide To Mental Well Being - Voormi
22 Stress Relief Activities to Calm Yourself Down in 5-Minutes or Less - Fatherly
How to Stay Physically and Mentally Healthy While COVID-19 Has You Stuck at Home - Time
Wellbeing tips for UN Personnel - United Nations
How We Can Claim Our Health Right Now During COVID-19 - Essence
I also enjoy the local newsletters sent by Zen Sanctuary in Kensington (sign up here) and Adams Avenue Integrative Health (sign up here).
If you want a small workout, this is Nova's soccer fitness which can be done in limited spaces in or around your home.
Physical Fitness – (Google any of the exercises listed below for clarification if needed)
- 10x jumping jacks – rest for 30 seconds – repeat twice more – 30 total
- 5X each leg RDL toe touches
- 10x – knee to chest hugs
- 10x – side lunges
- 10X – flamingo lunges
- 10x walking lunges – rest for 30 seconds – repeat – 20 total
- 10x deep squats – rest for 30 seconds – repeat – 20 total
- 10x – tuck jumps – rest for 30 seconds – repeat – 20 total
- 10x – star jumps – rest for 30 seconds – repeat – 20 total
- 10x – lateral skate jumps – rest for 30 seconds – repeat – 20 total
Arms & Core
- 10X push-ups – can be done in smaller sets or done on knees – whatever is needed – 10 total
- 30 second plank – rest for 30 seconds – repeat twice – 3x 30 second planks total
- 10x reverse crunches – rest for 30 seconds – repeat – 20 total reverse crunches
- 20 second single leg planks – rest for 30 seconds – repeat – 2x 20 second planks total
- 5 stick and land star jumps
- 5 standing broad jumps
- 5 burpees
(If you appreciate the posts on this site, please consider a small donation or tip via Venmo/sddialedin or Paypal.)