1. Dappled Cities "Granddance"- Finally released on Tuesday, this Aussie band is on Dangerbird Records...home of Silversun Pickups, Sea Wolf, and The One AM Radio...all bands I truly support. I like Granddance a lot because while cohesive as an album, each song has elements that remind me of something else and because of that, I can listen to it as background music without it being too demanding but without it putting me to sleep. Most important thing to know is that this band is AWESOME and they're playing with Tokyo Police Club at the Beauty Bar on July 26. Pre-sale tickets are on sale for that show for $10 and it will sell out, so wait not.
2. Spoon "Gagagaga" I have not illegally downloaded this album like most of you already have. But Merge records is releasing one track per day here. Sunday at the FM 94/9 Miller Lite Independence Jam is going to be so good.
3. Midnight Movies "Lion The Girl" - If Dido had created music for HBO instead of the WB, she might sound like Midnight Movies. Pretty voice with darker music. Each listen makes me like this CD more and more. Midnight Movies is opening for The Raveonettes this Saturday at the Casbah.
4. Thao Nguyen 6/7, House of Blues Sidestage- You guys never make sense. You go all apeshit over Feist, and Thao Nguyen is right there, completely accessible on Kill Rock Stars. (Listen to Feet Asleep on her MySpace) She's playing tomorrow at the House of Blues Sidestage (for $5!!) This was an "almost didn't happen" show, so it's really not in any of the ads for House of Blues and still wasn't on the House of Blues website last time I checked, but I have verbal confirmation with Jamal that this show is happening, so after you catch Swim Party and Kite Flying Society at TNT, walk with me to the House of Blues for this show. Deal? Deal.
5. Glen Phillips, The Watkins Family, Grant Lee Phillips, Luke Bella. Belly Up Tavern, TONIGHT, June 6: I was a huge fan of Toad The Wet Sprocket growing up and have made an effort to see their shows throughout the years. Glen Phillips as a solo musician is a bit more hushed, but so nice with his great songwriting well in tact. The Watkins Family is 2/3 of Nickel Creek, Grant Lee Phillips of Grant Lee Buffalo has that haunting voice that still takes me back the the room I was in the very first time I heard them. This is a solid show at a perfect venue. I will be there. You will get the full report mañana.